Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Question 1.) WHICH app is least obtrusive (uses the least system resources, doesn't "run in the background" and hog memory/processor, etc.):

a.) Trim Enabler (http://www.cindori.org)
b.) Chameleon SSD Optimizer (http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.com)

Question 2.) On my iMac, I swapped my HD with an SSD like this:
a.) Did a Time Machine Backup on my iMac.
b.) Brand new SSD into an Enclosure and connected it to iMac.
c.) Installed Fresh Mavericks onto the connected SSD.
d.) Booted into my Maverickized SSD, and ran a "Software Update."
e.) THEN, I connected my Time Machine Backup Drive, and did a Full Restore (so now, my SSD is pretty much a "clone" of my original iMac.
f.) Installed a Trim Enabler App. Now, here's my question:

The Trim Enabler App was installed AFTER all of my "mucking around," getting the SSD to be a clone of my original drive. IS THERE A WAY to do one-time one-pass-through "force-TRIM-everything" for all the files that had been moved around and deleted during my mucking around?

Thank you!
p.s. Sorry about the capital letters -- I try to make my posts look like how I talk :)

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Question 1.) WHICH app is least obtrusive (uses the least system resources, doesn't "run in the background" and hog memory/processor, etc.):

a.) Trim Enabler (www.cindori.org)
b.) Chameleon SSD Optimizer (http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.com)

Question 2.) On my iMac, I swapped my HD with an SSD like this:
a.) Did a Time Machine Backup on my iMac.
b.) Brand new SSD into an Enclosure and connected it to iMac.
c.) Installed Fresh Mavericks onto the connected SSD.
d.) Booted into my Maverickized SSD, and ran a "Software Update."
e.) THEN, I connected my Time Machine Backup Drive, and did a Full Restore (so now, my SSD is pretty much a "clone" of my original iMac.
f.) Installed a Trim Enabler App. Now, here's my question:

The Trim Enabler App was installed AFTER all of my "mucking around," getting the SSD to be a clone of my original drive. IS THERE A WAY to do one-time one-pass-through "force-TRIM-everything" for all the files that had been moved around and deleted during my mucking around?

Thank you!
p.s. Sorry about the capital letters -- I try to make my posts look like how I talk :)

Hi Sharon,

The trim enablers will not remain in memory once they have been run. They will switch on trim and and then the trim functionality will be in place and keep running. It is part of another kernel extension that is loaded anyway, so the impact to your system will not be noticeable.

Trim works by telling the operating system what areas of the disk no longer have data there. So, there is nothing that you need to do, it will just do it’s job.

If you would like a more expanded explanation then please respond here and I would be happy to help where I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.