More Fans in Mojave (MBP2018)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Sep 29, 2018.

1. MBX macrumors 68000

Hi

I may be wrong but I believe I hear a slight increase in fan noise when in idle mode or browsing web.

Previously in high sierra it was non-existent I believe when doing simple tasks. But now I hear a slight increase. It's very soft, only noticeable when surroundings totally quiet and no big deal but maybe I was spoiled before when it seemed completely quiet.

Anyone else notice?

When launching Macs Fan Control, the Auto RPM says around 2000 on both fans. And it's the lowest it can go even when trying to adjust manually.

Could it be that in High Sierra the Auto RPM was lower?

2. buran-energia macrumors regular

Are you talking about 13 inch?

I noticed that when watching video streams (e.g. on twitch) the CPU was running at the highest frequency for some minutes, forcing the fans to ramp up (13 2017 tb mojave). Then it went back to minimum speed and the fans became silent. Must be some sort of a glitch, because it didn't happen on high sierra.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

I have the 15'' base model 2018.

But your example seems something different. I'm talking specifically when idle mode or light web browsing. No matter what the constant value is now at 2000rpm and the fan noise slightly more in idle mode than before.

4. buran-energia macrumors regular

~2k is the lowest on 15 inch. So either it's placebo or your environment got quieter, and you hear the fans more.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

You might be right, I wanted to see what the case is. So it was always 2k rpm the lowest?

6. buran-energia macrumors regular

Yep, while on the 13 inch they are either off completely or start at 1300, but you can't hear them even in a quiet room at all unless you stick your year into keyboard.

7. hajime macrumors 603

or had the ear wax removed so hearing became better?