More Final Cut Pro X images leaked

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pmasters, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pmasters macrumors member

http://twitpic.com/photos/MortGoldman2

These images appear to be of the coloring tools within Final Cut Pro X. Does this mean Color is officially gone?

Shots all look legit. Not sure if it is an Apple leak though as the project in those shots is something called Weekend Warriors and it definitely doesn't look mainstream.

Found on the Twitter hashtag #FCPX

2. rumz macrumors 6502

It's supposed to be out this month-- maybe at the end of the month? I wonder how much they've integrated into FCP, and how much will still operate as stand-alone software (if Color has indeed been integrated).

I'm debating between FCPX and Premiere + After Effects.

3. JabbaII macrumors regular

For me it will be the price.

If it is $299 just for Final Cut then I will be looking for Premier cross upgrade pricing.

It used to be $299 for upgrading the entire suite.

I am just a casual user, not bounded by client nor studio requirements.
    Only boundary is money :eek:

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Remember, you get what you pay for... I know most clients can't even tell what program a sequence has been edited in, but I imagine that FCX will still be an economic version of an NLE software, like PS elements is a poor mans version of Photoshop.
    You might require some of the options included in the bigger programs like Premiere, AE, Avid or Vegas, either for workflow or special editing, you might not need it...

5. martinX, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The whole FCS suite was around $1000. This is just FCP for around $300, so it's sort of the same. What has changed is the distribution method: downloads make it economical for Apple to break up the suite so people can just buy the app(s) they need. $299 is just a bit more that FCE is/was so I'm willing to buy it for home (and Motion please please please let there be a new motion for no more than $250) before I even get it at work.

Out of curiosity, what about Premiere makes it a "bigger" program? What would make FCP X professional or not? Also, AE doesn't live in the same space as FCP (or Premiere, for that matter). It does effects. AE and Motion share some features, but AE is indeed a different beast altogether.

Whenever I take a look through Vegas forums run by/for professionals, Vegas seems to be shedding users like dandruff.

6. rumz macrumors 6502

Well, there was Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express-- express would have been the equivalent to PS Elements. Are you suggesting that now "Final Cut Pro X" should not have the "pro" moniker in there? I was under the impression that Final Cut Pro was always as serious for editing video as anything. (and that it's just in recent years that Premiere has become more competitive).

But, being a relative novice in video, I'm not the best informed.

P.s. D you do video with your 5dII? If so, what software suite are you using?

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Think about what FinalTouch (now Color) and Shake (now, in parts, Motion) once cost. It could well be that Apple is going to sell the whole suite for $299, and everything shrank together into one App.

Just hope that DVDSP is still part of the deal. I'm still depending on it.

8. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

Right now by far Adobe Premiere CS5 has the best support for DSLR's.

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

This, too, shall pass.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

I can see DVDSP shrinking into a few pop-up or user interface window in FCPX. The basics in DVDSP is simple enough that just adding the droplet support would suffice any basic FCPX user.

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Some basic disk authoring being incorporated into FCP wouldn't necessarily be bad, but for building a whole project with more complex menu structures, interactivity, etc. I'd still prefer a separate program. I really just want my NLE to concentrate on editing.

DVDSP could die off for all I care if they don't give it a decent upgrade. It's just so outdated at this point and there's no reason to use it if you have the Adobe suite at your disposal.

I'm just hoping the announcement comes soon, because the uninformed speculation can get tiresome. I find it hard to believe that Apple is shying away from the "Pro" part of FCP. I mean, how many prosumer driven NLEs are out there that support 4K?

12. mBox macrumors 68020

For what I use DVDSP I can live with fewer options. Ive done numerous finishes using DVDSP but now that I live in BD world, Im back to simpler DVD authoring.

From what I saw and heard at SuperMeet their not shying away. They brought up 4k support just havent been clear. We use all three (Avid MC, Adobe PPro and FCP) for RED/MXF/ProRes projects here. We welcome FCPX ;)

13. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Exactly. I don't get the outrage over something no one really knows anything about aside from a quick demo at the supermeet. We're a couple of weeks away at most, so at this point I'm done reading pointless rants.

I'm excited to see what FCPX does bring to the table, but I do imagine that FCP7 is going to be around for a while.

14. mBox macrumors 68020

In a true pro environment, you always leave older apps just in case. Even its on an older box. Avid is suspect for this. I always let the latest update fester for weeks before updating. During this I watch the whole mess unfold in the forums. Ive experienced way too many bad updates from Avid :p

15. cgbier macrumors 6502a

+1

I don't do "real" DVD mastering, but I love the flexibility of DVDSP, especially the fact that you can roll your own menu structure.

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Huh? Why????

If anything, it's going to be packed with more features than before. Final Cut has always been far ahead of the competition so far as being open and not restricted to specific formats and resolutions (remember Avid Xpress Pro?).

Also, the $299 price is for the single app. People seem to forget that the current FC Suite contains multiple applications, so it's not really cheaper necessarily.

I wouldn't call PS Elements a "poor man's" version of PhotoShop anyway. PS is total overkill for most people. Elements is actually pretty amazing.

17. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I fi had to guess, I think that there are strong color and sound tools in Final Cut X so as not to need separate applications. The same with encoding. If you boost what is already there, then Final Cut is at least on par with what you get in the suite.

The one thing that is not currently in Final Cut itself is DVD authoring and it will be interesting to see if that (and a full fledged version of color) are separate apps.

18. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

You realise that "+1" now has its' own button, right? :)

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would honestly be very surprised if FCP X had the exact same feature set we have in FCP 7 on top of all the new things that were shown in the NAB preview. It's a totally rewritten, V1 app and that takes a lot of time and effort. I bet there are things missing but they'll be brought back down the road.

While the CC tools certainly look improved there still looks like there's a lot of room for a stand-alone grading app. It would be a shame if Apple stripped Color for a few things then left it for dead the same way they did Shake.

Lethal

20. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I completely agree. I think it will take some time to get the full feature set back.

After looking at some of those screen captures, one of the things that has me worried is the "import from camera" option. Unless I'm missing something, is that the replacement for log and transfer?

I hate speculating though. Hopefully we'll find out in another week.

21. mBox macrumors 68020

Im not sure but Color hasnt changed much from my experience over the past few years.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple has done a lot of back-end work on Color (adding & refining interlaced support, incorporating round tripping, additional codec support, etc.,) but the feature set hasn't changed much since they bought it, AFAIK, besides the addition of curves. After Color only when from 1.x to 1.5 after 2yrs I started to get worried that it was going to get the Shake treatment. Hopefully that doesn't happen though.

On one hand both Color and Shake are very specific tools that cater to a niche within a niche and I can understand Apple ultimate saying "we don't want to support that niche" w/regards to Shake and killing development. On the other hand, Color has actually jumped started a market for more affordable color correction software (Da Vinci Resolve for $999, Da Vinci Lite for free, Baselight's plug-in, etc.,) so it would strange for them to up and leave it, IMO.

Lethal

23. mBox macrumors 68020

We opted purchased a Euphonix (Avid) MC Color surface now waiting on Resolve 8 to come out. We never caught on with Color due to the nature of our business but now that were using RED, we have to start on building a Finishing workflow.

24. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

In marketing hype yes, in reality...not really. Still very much a PITA to edit and manipulate a timeline with native DSLR (5d2/7d) footage in Premier. There are some bonuses, but they are mainly on Windows machines or those that've upgraded to Cuda enabled nVidia cards on Mac Pros...even then, there are very few "bonuses" to Premier right now with DSLR footage. It's still the same as with FCP...if you transcode your footage, it'll cut like butter..

....and Canon has been incredible issuing plugins for their DSLR footage on Log and Transfer through FCP. Incredibly fast transcoding to Pro Res on ingest. Nothing like the original days of transferring 5d2 footage, when it was in 30.00 fps...and using Shake to conform to 29.97....blah, blah, blah. We've come a long way just with plug-ins on this issue...and Pro Res is as good as it gets IMHO for editing.

I agree though with the points on the rest of the suite. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out...and whether or not some of the attributes of Motion (After Effects ideas) will be "baked in" to FCPX...or if Motion will remain a stand-alone app. I'm fine with Color as it sits. It's excellent for what I need it for, and I've never found the need to switch to Davinci. I don't believe Apple is willing to throw that deck of cards in just yet, especially considering the "Foundation" of Color and how much positive there is to build on. As far as Shake and the idea of compositing...I've completely moved to After Effects and not sure what it would take me to make the move back to using Motion...other than for the simplest of titling, et al. I do still have Shake on my Mac Pro...but the last time I used it was, as mentioned, in the days I had to conform my 5d2 footage from 30fps to 29.97. Cool Program, but it's had it's day...After Effects is an Awesome program...and, other than PhotoShop and Audition....my favorite Adobe offering. I'd LOVE to see Apple provide an alternative with merit to AE...Again, competition is good. I can see these possibilities being built in to the new FCPx...at least some of it. We'll see.

As far as authoring...I've used DVDSP, iDVD...but over the past two years, I've come to rely mainly on Toast. I just like it.

I'm a big Logic user as well...and I do look forward to LogicX (or whatever) and the ability to use Logic and FCP together...hopefully, Logic now with Audition!!!!

Jer

25. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I love After Effects too, but it's simply no substitute for a node based compositor like Shake. They are two completely different pieces of software.

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple do something with the Shake architecture, but with options like Nuke, there isn't much of a need.