More finder questions????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by James Godfrey, Jan 4, 2012.

1. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just been looking in finder (the thing which I find the most confusing about the iMac, as a windows convert) and I have noticed a few things listed under the shared section of it:

Firstly there is a PC named Dell (which is a laptop which my partner uses)
    There is also my printer named hpec..... (forgot the full name of it now)

What confuses me is the printer seems to be coming up as a PC and not a printer, is this normal? Its a HP Photosmart 5515, at first I thought it was another PC but after switching the printer off the file inside (MEMORY_CARD) wasn't seen so am taking it as though it is my printer.

Also, can I rename the printer at all so it is something more obvious rather than hpec then a load of numbers and letters.

Also should things such as my iPhone and iPad be appearing in finder anywhere like under devices, like iTunes does?

Thanks

James

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes what you are seeing is normal. The printer is a shared device so naturally it will show up as a shared item. You are simply going through a learning curve. I'd recommend getting yourself a good book on OS X Lion to keep on the bookshelf, you will be amazed how helpful that can be. The one I recommend is Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual.

3. James Godfrey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I am going to go about getting a book as using a mac can be quite confusing.

Is there anyway to change the name that appears for my printer? I have managed to change the name that appears for the Laptop, but the printer is just coming up with a load of letters and numbers lol.

Also for the Latop it says I can't connect but with the printer it says I'm connected as guest. Also, when the printer is on sometimes it appears under shared and sometimes it doesn't...

Also are my iPhone and iPad meant to show up in find to?

Thanks again

James