More from Apple this Week?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,458
8,521


Appleinsider reports that Apple may have some more updates in the wings as early as this week.

According to the rumor site, Apple is expected to release an updated version of iTunes (4.8) which will offer routine upgrades as well as "support for a new wave of international music stores". The software is expected as early as the first week of May.

As well, there are further hints at iMac G5 and eMac updates. The new systems are reported to be shipping to dealers this week. No word on iBook updates, however... which have also been anticipated.
 

Talez

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
3
0
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.

How long now has Australia been waiting on iTMS?
 

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
1,526
0
Long Beach, California
Makes sense, but too bad they didn't do it last week. Anyone with Tiger: do a search for a country in Spotlight, and look for a .gif. Apparently they've included the iTMS flags with Tiger.
-Chase
 

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
224
0
UK
iTMS flags?

rendezvouscp said:
Makes sense, but too bad they didn't do it last week. Anyone with Tiger: do a search for a country in Spotlight, and look for a .gif. Apparently they've included the iTMS flags with Tiger.
-Chase
I actually found these playing around with iChat - seems they've put them on as little gifs to represent your country while chatting - Avatars for the chat rooms.

I don't think this has much to do with new iTMSs, which I'm sure are coming... crosses fingers for Australia, Norway, Switzerland and Sweden. Go you!
 

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
153
0
Brisbane, Australia
Talez said:
Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.

How long now has Australia been waiting on iTMS?
too long! I actually have dared to believe iTMS-Oz might actually come around this time ... don't let me down this time Apple
:(
 

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
1,526
0
Long Beach, California
Montserrat said:
I actually found these playing around with iChat - seems they've put them on as little gifs to represent your country while chatting - Avatars for the chat rooms.

I don't think this has much to do with new iTMSs, which I'm sure are coming... crosses fingers for Australia, Norway, Switzerland and Sweden. Go you!
Yeah, I wouldn't think that their inclusion in Tiger has anything to do with their iTMS release, but it's nice to know that Apple has all the flags set to go. :D

I really hope they do another all-out country release like when they added some countries in Europe. That's always exciting!
-Chase
 

fucanay

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
22
0
An update to iTunes will likely also include the new CoreAudio Format that is included with Tiger. There is only one application that I know of that currently supports this format and that is AU Lab which is included in the developer tools installation.

fucanay
 

easymac800g4

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
57
0
tuscaloosa, Alabama
i cant wait to see what they are gonna do with these new imacs, i need a new computer and really want to move to a G5 but the powermacs get too expensive, too quick, But you gotta admit, the price of the dual 2.0 is sweet, especially after the EDU markdown.
wish i could afford it at this moment
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
36,052
3,276
Los Angeles
It all makes sense: new stores for new countries, and a matching new iTunes version. The big question is WHEN.
 

Palador

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
29
0
Why are iBook updates anticipated in the near future?

It seems to me that if they were updated before the next Powerbook updates, there wouldnt be enough of a difference to most people to justify the much higher cost of the Powerbook. Especially considering that to most people, the main selling point is the speed of the G4 processor.
 

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
iChat flags

There are so many different flags that I don't think there's a connection to iTMS. I found the following flags: Argentina, Chile, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, China, India, Hungary, Poland and Turkey. However, I couldn't find Brasil, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. So there's no logic pattern. I guess it's not hard to predict that some of the countries I listed abover are not a likely candidate for an iTMS in the short term.
 

apelet

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
39
0
To Apple:
Please up date the iBooks this week. And make it a good update. We've had the same white plastic for too long. Not that I didn't like the look, but its time for something new. Show us something cool. If you do, I promise to put my order in the moment they come out.
 

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
Palador said:
Why are iBook updates anticipated in the near future?

It seems to me that if they were updated before the next Powerbook updates, there wouldnt be enough of a difference to most people to justify the much higher cost of the Powerbook. Especially considering that to most people, the main selling point is the speed of the G4 processor.
First of all, the iBooks have had a very strict product cycle in the past. They were updated every 6 months. (Last update occured in October). Between October and January, the 14" iBooks and the 12" PBs had similar specs, they even had the same clock speed (1.33 GHz). I don't have the slightest doubt about an iBook update in the coming weeks.
 

Tcnorman

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2004
21
0
Minneapolis
apelet said:
To Apple:
Please up date the iBooks this week. And make it a good update. We've had the same white plastic for too long. Not that I didn't like the look, but its time for something new. Show us something cool. If you do, I promise to put my order in the moment they come out.
I'll be sure to rush the message to Steve Jobs.
 

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
368
0
rendezvouscp said:
Makes sense, but too bad they didn't do it last week. Anyone with Tiger: do a search for a country in Spotlight, and look for a .gif. Apparently they've included the iTMS flags with Tiger.
-Chase
That would mean iTMS in Mexico! :eek: Yeah right... There isn't even an Apple Store in Mexico. Apparently they see no market here yet.

Montserrat said:
I actually found these playing around with iChat - seems they've put them on as little gifs to represent your country while chatting - Avatars for the chat rooms.

I don't think this has much to do with new iTMSs, which I'm sure are coming... crosses fingers for Australia, Norway, Switzerland and Sweden. Go you!
I believe some flags are only for iChat. Australia and the others' iTMS should be coming soon, right? People have been waiting so long...
 

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
1,537
0
afk
Zaty said:
There are so many different flags that I don't think there's a connection to iTMS. I found the following flags: Argentina, Chile, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, China, India, Hungary, Poland and Turkey. However, I couldn't find Brasil, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. So there's no logic pattern. I guess it's not hard to predict that some of the countries I listed abover are not a likely candidate for an iTMS in the short term.
Really? That many? Well, if it does comes to my country, it will be really surprising.
 

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
368
0
Zaty said:
First of all, the iBooks have had a very strict product cycle in the past. They were updated every 6 months. (Last update occured in October). Between October and January, the 14" iBooks and the 12" PBs had similar specs, they even had the same clock speed (1.33 GHz). I don't have the slightest doubt about an iBook update in the coming weeks.
Apple's "strict" product cycles have been completely screwed up in the last half year or so. I think since the iMac's delay and until now. The no-G5 PowerBook is obviously making the iBook updates come to a halt for now. Unless there's a mere 0.17Ghz increase and maybe Bluetooth 2.0 included, the PowerBook's update has to come first. But considering what was done with the PowerMac... high end 1.5Ghz and low end 1.33GHz iBooks would seem likely so as to not interfere with the low end PowerBook. The lack of dual 3.0Ghz PowerMacs shows just how much trouble Apple is having updating their hardware.
 

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
224
0
UK
Apologies NZ, Denmark...

As Nermal Pointed out I should also be keeping my fingers crossed for NZ and Denmark - Go you guys too.

I was looking at the QT 7 Pro page and one of the features struck me as a possible addition to iTunes 4.8

New AAC constant-quality mode. Create AAC audio files optimized for constant quality for a consistently high-quality listening experience.

Maybe VBR AAC encoding in iTunes 4.8? Here's a hopin'

(Keepin' those fingers crossed)