More GB for macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bravocharlie, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bravocharlie macrumors newbie

I have a macbook, 1.83 version, with 60 gb.

Where do I shop for a larger hard drive? Would I be able to put in 120 GB or even more, or would it corrupt the machine?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Any SATA 2.5" HDD which is 9mm thick will work with your MacBook. I believe the largest SATA notebook drive available is 500GB now.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes any laptop SATA will be fine - 120GB is a good compromise since they are very cheap at the moment - but why do you think it would corrupt your machine ??

If you tell us where you are based we can help with where to get one - there are a lot of UK based members on here and it does make a difference....

4. bravocharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Logana, I am in Denmark, but I would be able to buy in the UK as I am going there soon.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

??? Yet to see it happen.

6. Snips macrumors regular

I recently switched to a 250gb drive, and it was a breeze using an external drive as a temporary back-up, and Time Machine.

Be sure to buy a 2.5 inch drive (intended for laptops, as opposed to 3.5" intended for desktops).

Why not consider adding more RAM while you're upgrading your machine. Older MacBooks can accept up to 2Gb RAM, in two banks of 1Gb.

7. bravocharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated to 2 GB RAM two weeks after getting my Macbook. The difference was amazing! Most sensible purchase I've made in a long time...

So, yes, your recommendation was spot on.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If buying in the UK I would recommend scan.co.uk - 120GB Western Digital SATA laptop drive £35 (plus postage but including VAT) at the moment.

Probably cheaper than Denmark/Germany.