More graphics power help with iPad's video limits?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Drag'nGT, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have had a hard time loving my old iPad due to the limited video playback options. VLC (official from the app store) opened me up to other formats but always told me my HD videos couldn't be played.

What's the chance that the new graphics power will finally allow me to play 720/1080p mkv or mp4 files?

Or am I just not using the right app to play video on my iPad?

2. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i think VLC et al cannot access the graphics card chip so rely on the processor hence poor playback.

if you convert them to an apple format, they will play at 720p/1080p through the videos app... kinda annoying yeah.

3. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Yes, and my primary gripe about the device. I like being able to just throw two or three movies or episodes of a TV show my MBP and climb on a plane. Who wants to spend their time re-encoding a video. Takes longer to do that than to watch it.

I had the iPad for a few months and ran into this problem, so I sold it. Skipped the iPad 2 and my friends never did get it to work well with video. I REALLY want this model but I'd hate to skip it since it would be great for video... it just won't play anything I own.

4. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i think u needed a better processor for it to bang out those videos tbh...

leave it if u need that as the primary function.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

wont really help you on a plane but I use air video for videos that are different formats. I'd also reccomend getting handbreak and converting the videos to apple friendly videos. if you have an i7 cpu its much faster then it used to be and from here on out only get apple friendly video formats.