More hidden pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 10, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I know this discussion has been going on now since the new rate plan for the 3G was announced by AT&T. $15 more a month (if you want your text messages). Hidden costs? Well, consider this as well:

Many of us are bemoaning the iPhone's lack of certain features that are found on very basic (cheap) cell phones. Imagine now if Apple announces that you CAN have MMS! Only $9.99 for the software! Maybe even a monthly charge as well to add on to the plan...maybe $5 a month. And that video recorder we all want? Another $9.99. Then what about copy and paste? $9.99. A Flash plug-in? $9.99. I think you get the idea. Some of these features are standard on much cheaper phones yet, if you want all of the above, another $40 added on to the new "low, low" price of the iPhone.

And I'm the sucker who will run right out and buy them.

Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

No way for monthly mms.

Think about Verizon for a minute. GPS on a Verizon phone is 7.99 a month. On the iPhone, its FREE!!!!

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

The moral of the story is, if you aren't satisfied with the features and price of the iPhone that you get at the time that you purchase it, don't purchase it.

In the future if they release some other feature that you must pay for and you think you are entitled to it for free, you are saying that you paid too much for what you got in the first place.

4. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I don't think Flash or Copy and Paste could be done as an application, they'd require access to the firmware. And MMS would have to wait until September when the unified notification service is available, at which time I predict we'll see an iChat for iPhone from Apple as well as an iChat for Windows - both for free.

On the other hand, sure. Apple is off loading much of the application work to developers where they will take a 30% cut of each sale.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Seriously, just wait until September when they release the new push announcement servers for developers to use and switch to IM. Text messaging is a complete scam.

6. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Im sure we will see an IM client at the App store launch.....iChat or not

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It won't be fully functional until september when the push notification servers go online.

8. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Why wont it be functional? Who cares if it uses the push servers. Battery life should be our choice.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Oh, an IM client would work, you just wouldn't be able to switch to another app without logging out. You have to wait until September so they can thoroughly test the server. I'd rather wait and get an IM service I know will work rather than get a buggy one that may drop some IMs randomly.

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

It will work. But once you quit the IM App to go to the web or any other application you'd lose the persistent connection and not be alerted to new messages until you switched back to the IM App. Same applies once you lock/sleep your phone all application activity stops - hence the need for the unified notification server which will always be active in the background.

11. rolex54 macrumors 6502

the iPhone is an expensive phone, but very comparable to other phones in its class, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.