more ie woes

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tominated, Apr 5, 2007.

1. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I have more ie problems! this is with a different site though. IE 5.5 displays my page with the usual problems (it won't allow one of my images to overlap another div and the transparent png problem), but in every other IE, it shows up just my background color! (ie mac shows nothing). If you want to see the site, visit http://tominatedsoftware.com/design/ and login with these details:
    usr: guest
    pass: design
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Tominated

2. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

can someone please help me with this, or should I make a browser detecting script that will send IE to a page made up of tables instead of div tags?

3. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I've posted this a million times, but there's a site that documents pretty much every case of ie css bugs known. It is all on this page:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

You don't need to create a new site. That partly defeats the purpose of using css in the first place. You just need to create a conditional comment that links to an ie6 stylesheet. That way you can feed IE6 custom css for whatever needs fixing.

If you want to be a web designer, you are going to have to learn on your own the IE rendering issues. It can be frustrating in the beginning, but debugging css is part of the job description. If you always ask people to fix things for you or give up (aka building a new table-based site), then you will never become competent in the field. Look through the page I linked and find what might be the bug you are facing.

Learning to debug css is important. Comment out different parts of the html and css to try and pin point exactly what's causing the issues. It also helps a lot to check your site in IE (in addition to your normal browser that renders properly) as you build it. That way you'll know where the source of the bug is.

4. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

5. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

6. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

I'm not sure if i will have to use the solution to the expanding box or phantom box problem. they both seem like the same thing to me. Could you point me in the right direction? BTW: I have an image of what it looks like in IE 5.5

Attached Files:

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Like 99% or so of IE users are using IE6 or later so I don't even bother testing 5 anymore. It's also worth noting that WinXP shipped with IE6. I can support it if a client requests it, but most are fine with 6+ and it is all I test for on my own sites.

8. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

oh. BTW: on ie6 and above, it just shows up the background colour (crap!)