More info on the rMBP Image Retention Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dominus Mortem, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I bought a 15" rMBP a month ago, luckily it had a Samsung screen. Then I bought a 13" rMBP. I don't know what screen it had, the EDID is masked. I ran the checkerboard test on both of these laptops and got zero retention after 15 min. on the 15" but got very noticeable IR on the 13" laptop which took minutes to dissipate (it was really bad, I mean damn!). I had that 13" only 4 days. So it doesn't take 3-4 months for IR to show up in all cases, you can definitely have it right out of the box as I found out.

I took that laptop back to the Apple store as fast as I could drive. Instead of getting another 13" I got another 15" (yes, I need two laptops, it's not important why). I got the 15" instead of the 13" this time around for two reasons: The difference in portability is not huge (in my case/opinion, ymmv) but mainly because a 13" with 8gb ram, 256hd and I5 dual core costs damn near the same as the 15" with I7, quad core 256hd and you get the extra graphics card too. For some odd reason, they only charged me $2 extra. I was expecting to have to pay $100 more. The guy said the total was right so I shrugged and paid the man the $2.

The price point between the rMBP 15 and 13 is weirdly small. Either you're getting a good deal for the 15 or taking it in the shorts big time on the 13.

The 2nd 15" has an LP screen, darn it. I know it's only the 1st day but I ran that checkerboard test for 15 minutes and didn't see even a hint of retention. In all respects it's fantastic. No pixel problems, no color tint, and it's damn bright.

Could it be that the new LP screens are fixed? Can I hope that since I don't see even the slightest hint of IR that I might be safe even later on?

Do I need Apple Care to get the screen replaced if IR crops up in a few months or will they replace it regardless?

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

AFAIK anything that occurs within the first year (and which is obviously not intended to happen) will be covered by warranty.

3. aware macrumors member

4. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I didn't realize the 13" rMBP suffered from IR to that extent. Probably the reason why no one can tell what make their display is.

5. Dominus Mortem thread starter macrumors regular

I'd love to tell you but I'm not sure how to figure that out. I got the one with the LP screen yesterday though. How can I tell the exact build date?

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

FWIW... I had a Samsung originally, replaced with an LG due to white pressure marks, which was itself replaced with a Samsung 4 months in due to worsening IR. So you may not be out of the woods yet.

Google Apple Serial Numbers to enter your serial and find out when it was made...

Mine for example...

Serial Number: (Use your own)
    Model: - MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) (CTO)
    Codename: - No codename assigned.
    Build Country: - This unit was built in China
    Build Year: - This unit was built in the first half of 2012.
    Build Week - Week 25 (June) or week 52 (December)
    Production Nr.: - This unit was number 805 to be built that week.

7. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

So my rMBP was born:

Model: - MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) (CTO)
    Build Year: - This unit was built in the first half of 2012.
    Build Week - Week 26 (June)
    Production Nr.: - This unit was number 408 to be built that week.

How do I know if it's LG or Samsung?

8. leman macrumors 604

More likely that only 0.5% or so of all LG screen have the issue... or, it was a bad batch that many rMBPs suffered from (thats why many reports of IR within the same timeframe).

9. iPersian macrumors regular

there is NO evidence that LP/LGs are fixed.

on the contrary all evidence points toward the fact that all LPs develop IR after some use.

My second MBPr with LG screen took two months before IR showed itself while the first one took 3 weeks.

----------

recently i went to an apple store and found all LGs to have IR. also checked their week no and they were few weeks old.

5 of 5 LGs had the issue so dont believe on few people that claim this is limited.

I believe that all LGs develop IR and they are all flawed

10. Blue604 macrumors regular

The question is not whether the LP panel will have IR or not. The question is when will the IR show up.

I would say today is Dec. 12th 2012. It will show up before the world ends on Dec. 21st. 2012. :D

11. Attilas macrumors newbie

Just got my rMPB on december 12th. I had an LG screen with absolutely no IR right now. Did the test numerous time and will continue to do so until january 7th final extended holiday refund date.

I browsed a lot of forums and I would agree with you that it look like lot less people complaining since one month. I just can't believe Apple and LG didn't react on this problem and adjustment is probably getting out now.

Im still have mixed feeling right now if I have to keep the laptop or not. But damn this rMBP is gorgeous and performing actually way more than I expected (New Mac owner btw). Anyway will try to extend my tryout and pray IR doesn't start up later.

At least a lot of community support and the problem is known and look usually repaired under Apple warranty. That might be enough for me to pass the january 7th trial.

12. Dominus Mortem thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I got the data on my new rMBP 15" with LG screen:

Serial Number: C02JR7WRDKQ1
    Model: - MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    Build Year: - This unit was built in the second half of 2012.
    Build Week - Week 22 (May) or week 49 (November)
    Production Nr.: - This unit was number 1521 to be built that week.

I sure hope it doesn't develop IR. I ran the test again today, still nothing. The display is very good in all respects so far.

13. aware macrumors member

How does your lg compare to your samsung screen? Are the colours the same? Any yellow tint? What week number is your samsung rMBP? It will be good if you can post pic side by side.

14. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris