Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apple CFO fred Anderson sold 100,000 shares last week.

now:

Apple Computer Senior Vice President Heinen Files To Sell 125,000 Shares

Dow Jones Business News, Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 12:46

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) Senior Vice President Nancy Heinen filed to sell 125,000 shares of the company's common stock, according to a Form 144 released Thursday by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Heinen listed April 30 as the approximate sale date for the shares, which she valued at $3 million.

interesting....

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
why would they sell their shares before WWDC?

they would make more the day after and it wouldn't look as bad

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
HELLO? This means nothing! SEC rules allow insiders to ONLY sell their shares at specific times. This must be one of them for Apple and its executives. Right now, the share prices are pretty good, and this is an opportunity for executives who are paid bonuses in stock instead of cash to get some money rather than building up their stock portfolios.

As anyone will tell you, you should be diversified, and even an Apple exec would be smart to trade in some Apple stock received as a bonus for some non-tech related stock to prevent industry specific risks from destroying the exec's life savings.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Wait, I may be wrong. This might mean something. If the execs receive stock in bonuses, the question remains... why did they get bonuses. Was it for something they developed on time or ahead of schedule that's going to be released later this year, or is it for some past performance?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Two I wouldn't worry too much about. Now if more start sellout, well, that might be trouble. Anyway, most of the time Apple stock goes up right before a conference or event and drops a few points right after.

And like you said mccrain, if they're only allowed to sell large chunks once in a while, well, they have to pay for the familly mansion some how.:D

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
HELLO?

don't give me the mcfly bit....:D

it may only be motivated by the closing of an option exercise window.

or maybe, they waited for a new tax year ( HELLO?, TAXMAN:D )

or maybe, they think the stock's price is at a premium.

the fact is, we don't know.

but when analyzing a stock, insider activity is another piece of the puzzle.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: HELLO?

Originally posted by 3rdpath
don't give me the mcfly bit....:D

it may only be motivated by the closing of an option exercise window.

or maybe, they waited for a new tax year ( HELLO?, TAXMAN:D )

or maybe, they think the stock's price is at a premium.

the fact is, we don't know.

but when analyzing a stock, insider activity is another piece of the puzzle.

Sorry for the McFly bit. No offense meant. The point is that they always report all SEC filings, and wall street types do try to figure out the health of a company based on the stock activity of insiders, however, the SEC, in order to prevent stock value fluctuations based on the actions of insiders, have put restrictions on the ability of insiders to buy or sell stock. Usually, most insiders don't buy stock, but rather earn it through publically disclosed compensation packages. Then, depending on timing and other factors, the insiders sometimes sell their shares during the SEC window of opportunity.

The only fact we do know is that this is the time insiders can sell, and some have chosen to do so. That's it. To read anything into that, even if more insiders or all insiders sell their shares, is a mistake.

The main point is that legally, if an insider has wanted to or needed to sell his or her shares during the last 11 months or whatever, now is the time they have to do it.

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
It could also have something to do with shareholder concern about the number of stock options held by the brass.

Anyone remember the comment at the shareholders meeting? It might just be a way to release some stocks back into the market to quell some flames.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: hate to tell u guys...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
but as soon as it gets up to $30....

I'm out!!!

no longer will I be an Apple shareholder... :rolleyes:

You might be waiting a while on that one, nothing much has been happening lately. Right now the stock is just over $23. It been bouncing around here for the last year or so.

Attachments

• applestock.gif
    applestock.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 269

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Wrong, wrong

When the G5 comes out, we'll see AAPL at $50+ :D :D :D :D :p

Seriously. iMac sales, just might send the Apple stock up a bit. Apple had a good last quarter, and iMac sales are still strong.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Wrong, wrong

Originally posted by crassusad44
When the G5 comes out, we'll see AAPL at $50+ :D :D :D :D :p

I doubt it...

and u guys are right...it may be a while...I'm not expecting much to happen for a while...

I just know "when" it does happen....I'm out.... ;)

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
my 2¢

my guess is that we won't see a significant jump in apple stock until it comes out on top in 2005-ish...when all the ignorance level of americans goes to an all-time low and people realize that apple is the way to go...then pc's will become worthless...coffestands....stress management devices..you kno...but i think its worth waitin for a lil bit....just my opinion

adel

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I am bullish on AAPL

I am a bit more opimistic than 2005, i think APPL is having a good 2002 so far, by 2003, some of the corporate world will adopt MAC OS X as their Desktop Unix system.. i am seeing a change lately in big corporations like IBM etc., their upgrade cost for XP is quiet huge, they have to upgrade their HW first to go for XP..and IBM is seriously considering Linux as their desktop. Its all good for Unix World.. and Mac OS X will be more popular among these Linux/Unix gurus very soon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.