More iPad2 Rumors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whathesaid, Nov 26, 2010.

1. whathesaid macrumors regular

Macstories are reporting some interesting rumors:

According to a report from Chinese-language Economy Daily News also published by Digitimes, industry sources are claiming these will be the five key features Apple will add to the next generation iPad:

Video phone
    Better mobility
    USB port
    New display technology
    3-axis gyroscope

Which, put simply, means: FaceTime camera, thinner and lighter device, a USB port, a Retina Display and same iPhone 4 gyroscope. Many reports have surfaced from “industry sources” close to Digitimes in the past, and with rumors of Apple ramping up production of the next generation iPad for a Q1 2011 launch it is possible that these rumors have a solid foudation.

It is widely believed that Apple is going to add a front-facing camera to the iPad 2: it just makes sense to them to bring FaceTime to the tablet and they should have done this with the first-gen iPad. As for “better mobility”, it also makes sense that Apple is going to ship a lighter and thinner tablet, perhaps based on carbon fiber, perhaps built with a new glass and/or aluminum technology we don’t know about yet. The gyroscope? Perfectly reasonable, too.

What makes me wonder is the speculation on Retina Display and a USB port. We said many times in the past that adding an iPhone 4-like Retina Display to the current iPad screen’s resolution would force designers and developers (and users who take screenshots on the iPad) to deal with a huge resolution, way above 2000 pixels. So it’s interesting to notice that Digitimes reports the Retina Display technology for iPad will “enhance image and color output performance”, as if it’ll be something aimed at providing better image and text quality, without increasing pixel resolution that much. We’ll see.

As for the USB port, Apple never implemented it on the iPhone and iPod, and I don’t see why they should on the iPad 2. Does this rumor have anything to do with the fact that the European Commission will require any smartphone and data-enabled device to adopt standard micro-USB charging connector?

http://www.macstories.net/ipad/ipad-2-retina-display-lighter-camera-gyroscope-and-usb-port/

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

How are they going to make it thinner AND add a USB port?

Not buying that any more than I am buying the retina display.

3. Wozza2010 macrumors member

I could see a better display being in the pad2, whether that being retina or someother technology.

If apple put in a retina display and made the ipad lighter it could kill the kindle overnight, which would be a huge scalp for Apple and a significant victory in the ebook wars.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not likely. Why would a higher resolution screen "kill the Kindle" ? The Kindle is an eBook reader, the iPad is a tablet. One is branded specifically as an eBook reader and does very well, the other is branded as a tablet that happens to have an eBookstore.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It all sounds lovely and I'm almost drooling at the thought of it.

However, I can't help but feel much of it is just wishful thinking.

6. Wozza2010 macrumors member

Have you seen a Kindle 3? Have you read a Kindle 3? The Kindle's display is a thing of beauty. I own a Kindle myself.

Like others have mentioned the current ipad display is not up to it when it comes to ebook reading and that is understandable because that is not meant to be its forte.

That said putting a retina display or something similar into the next ipad would make many people, including myself, question whether to keep the Kindle when the ipad can do that function, espeically if it had a retina display - reading ebooks on a retina would be a joy.

Its not a coincidence that iBooks was announced in conjunction with the iPad. Apple aren't here to make up the numbers as far a ebooks are concerned. I'm certain that they want to be major players in this field and the (future) iPad is a big part of that.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Nothing I can see above from the original report states that the screen's resolution is going to increase.

Same resolution, better definition?

8. jb1280, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The Kindle is always going to be cheaper and lighter than the iPad so the Kindle hardware is never going to be destroyed by the iPad. I would argue that a lot of the people who buy Kindles that already have an iPad want the Kindle precisely because it is significantly less expensive than an iPad.

While it is true that Apple wants to be part of the ebook market, at the moment and for the foreseeable future, Amazon is the only important ebook store.

The iPad is doing well in the ebook market not because of ibooks, but because of the Kindle app.

edit: If I had to guess what this rumor means about new display technology it would be the optical lamination - not a retina display.

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Hmmm.

A USB port is kind of big. Maybe what they're thinking about is a Micro USB port on the iPad and a dongle converter, Micro USB to USB.

And a real "Retina Display" as Apple has previously defined it means that it would have a pixel density greater than the ability of the human eye to discern. If they are serious about that, then it will mean a serious upgrade in processor! That would be truly awesome if that's what they are doing, but a more reasonable and economical alternative would be to move up quite a bit on the iPad's resolution without actually meeting the definition of a Retina Display.

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

USB? Nada. Retina? Not a chance. I think ‘enhanced display’ means optical lamination, like the iPhone 4, to eliminate light refraction.

11. oli356 macrumors 6502

Apple haven't got a USB in any iOS device, cant see it happening soon

Retina display - *4 the pixels, that's a ridiculously high res.. Impossible to put on a device this big surely and it would cost loadsss

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOLz. Does anyone here follow Apple? No way in hell that many changes happen to the iPad 2.

Retina display? Way too expensive for this device.
    USB - Surely you jest. Dock connector is their standard.

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

camera and gyroscope...anything else will be on a third. :)

/thread

14. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Can they increase the quality of the display without increasing the resolution?

Its already an ips panel and the pixel density is greater than their 13" mbp.

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

Retina display will come if the iPad is 7". Steve jobs said a 7" tablet is too small to develop apps for. But a retina display fixes that problem.

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

That's what they all said about the iPod Touch 4g. Yet the rumors were spot on.

17. BrennerM macrumors regular

Jobs was mostly referring to the fact that normal fingers are too big for a 7" tablet (he mentioned having to file down your fingers). That doesn't change regardless of the resolution of the tablet. For example, the page numbers on this forum are just barely big enough to click on with the iPad at 9.7" with no zooming but at 7" you would have to zoom in on them in order to accurately click one, which would be a royal pain. Even if the numbers were crystal clear to look at they would still be prohibitively small on a 7" display without zooming.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The only stupid thing about that statement is the whole range of smaller screened devices that Apple are happy to sell.

Which apparently they thing people can operate without filing down your fingers.

a 3.5" iPhone screen makes a bit of a joke about him saying a 7" screen it too small to operate.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Retina Display requires 300 Pixels per inch. That would be too high for tablets. We are talking about 10 inch tablet will have higher than 1080P resolution. Not happening.

Camera? Yes Very likely. But, I don't believe the rear camera at all. But, it could happen

Display? Yes, but not retina display. They might bump up the resolution higher, but not retina. Keep smoking

Size? Maybe. How much thinner can it get? This isn't iPod touch. It might be lighter, but it won't be much thinner.

Storage? Hopefully, it will start at 32GB now.

Ram? I hope for 1GB, but 512MB will be my guess

Price? Same and it will start at 499 dollars.

20. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hope it all happens.

21. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think this may have a lot do to with it. And does the current size have to be retained to allow for a micro-USB?

22. Jsn macrumors member

Let me put it this way: if the iPad2 goes retina then I'll be blown away. Considering the pricing on these puppies, that would represent an innovation--oh, say, on the level of the original iPhone. Which is not to say that it couldn't happen, only it's a big-league achievement even for Apple.

(Now, of course, I want it to happen.)

23. Err0xx macrumors member

How does a 3.5 inch iPhone have anything to do with it? A tablet is aimed at consuming media- the iPhone has consuming media as a bonus but it is a phone primarily. 7" is too small to adequately use for browsing/media consumption and too big for my pocket; the 3.5 inch iPhone is just big enough to use for quick information on-the-go and just small enough to use with one hand and fit into my pocket. I don't get what your statement has to do with anything. Put each product into the perspective that it's aimed at; the iPhone and iPad address very different needs, hence why they both exist.

24. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I dont think ret display wont happen for a while, they are going to need things to add to their ipad 3, 4 etc. its going to be just small upgrades, like with their phones, some more power, + a camera, and the gyro, Thats why i am thinking if i should just grab 1 now. or wait, till the new ones, and maybe the older ones would be going for dirt cheap.

25. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

What if they nerd this iPad by not supporting iOS 5 on it? A similar thing has happened to my brother wh he bought a first gen I touch and now he is stuck on ios3 and connot upgrade.

What I don't like is that new apps will only support the new os and therefore you are limited to the apps you already have.