More issues with the Airport and wireless on my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calianne, Jun 22, 2010.

1. calianne macrumors newbie

situation: I recently moved to a new apartment building, where free internet is provided (a pretty big plus in my decision to move here). unfortunately, i have now come to find out that macbooks have constantly had problems connecting to their server. i have spoken with apple several times to no avail.
    the airport displays a full connection, safari would read "internet not connected" and firefox used to read "sever not found" but now reads "you are offline"

things i've tried that haven't worked:
    software updates
    reset PRAM
    restart in safe mode: loaded pages in safari and then worked normally for about an hour, but would not work for firefox.
    i am not able to ping websites when connected
    reinstall safari 4 (instead of 5) only resulted in my now no longer having safari, because the only downloads available run on os x 10.6.3 and i have 10.6.4 and trying to install the software from the install disc hasn't worked
    setting my IP address to manual input

i am at my wit's end.
    unfortunately, i can't give up because i am registered in two online courses this summer.

if anyone has any advice, i would appreciate a solution more than i would ever be able to express.

2. JAVK macrumors newbie

I had a simillar problem. My connection speed was very slow.

However I read somewhere that adding DNS servers manually under settings can fix this problem. It worked for me. Now I get a full speed connection.

3. Reapur macrumors regular

You might have to ask the building management for server info. There may be manual settings for you that you need to setup. They would have it like that to prevent non residents from using it.

4. calianne thread starter macrumors newbie

i have spoken with my landlord and the building manager, which resulted in finding out that one of their severs that i was trying to use was actually down, but the other still didn't work.
    both of them offered that there are no known preventative settings, and that mac users who have had problems have been able to figure them out.
    but, i have yet to have heard a reply for any of the other users in the building.

5. calianne thread starter macrumors newbie

for adding the DNS manually do you mean simply entering in the information that was previously there myself?

6. Logo2010 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem if you figured it out or if any one knows what to do please help. Went to apple store today and it worked perfectly for the
    As soon as I got home no Internet!