More Kernel Panics than usual

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G5Unit, Aug 21, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Over the past couple weeks the heat here has been terrible, I also noticed my powermac g5 crashing and have the grey screen of death more. This occurs when the fans run at full speed.

Is it the heat? Or is my PowerMac dieing?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

do you think that your RAM may be need to be reseated since the fan's have been running / making more vibrations lately?

just a thought

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Kernel Panics are NOT! normal

I would do as suggested & re-seat the RAM, if that doesn't do it it may be a motherboard problem. Try taking all the RAM out & adding one module @ a time till it panics again. If it Kernel panics more than once a week I would suspect a hardware problem.
    Good Luck

4. ZachPruckowski macrumors member

Heat does play a role in kernel panics. Consider improving room ventilation. But a hardware problem is also possible, if not likely.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, with your recent Firewire and USB problems I think it's pretty safe to say something's pretty wrong with your machine. What third party components do you have connected or installed? What recent changes have you made to your machine? :)

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I just hooked up a Logitech surround sound system, but things were going amiss before that. The only thing I can think of is that things started going a little off around June 25th, were there any software updates then(around that time) that could have caused this?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Off the top of my head? No idea! :D

Start with the basics though mate. Disconnect all third party hardware and run the Apple Hardware Test. :)

8. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Where would I run the hardware test from?:eek:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It either came on a separate CD that you need to boot from holding C, or it was included in your restore discs and can be accessed by booting holding D. :)

10. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I did the quick hardware check and it got nothing, what could be the problem? Also, I always have to click website links a few times before anything happens, geez, so many problems....:mad:

I also wanted to add that the kernel panics happen when ever I leave the computer, such as maybe turn off the monitor. Then I come back and the fans are full blast.

The amount of kernel panics I've had this week is about 4.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What third party components do you have? Run the extended test and see if that can hint at anything... :)