Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaker known as "DuanRui" has today shared an image of two iPhone 13 "film samples," which show the same rumored smaller notch design coming to the iPhone 13 series that we've seen from other sources.

duanrui-iphone13-notch-samples.jpeg

In past tweets, DuanRui has accurately leaked the correct names of the iPhone 12 models and an iPad Air 4 manual revealing its new design, so there's good reason to think this leak is credible, plus it matches up with previous rumors.

In the image, which appears to show screens for an iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 mini, the notch is visibly smaller, which is believed to be a result of the earpiece speaker being moved up into the top bezel, a design choice that was first rumored for iPhone 12 models last year but failed to materialize.

The alleged ‌iPhone 13‌ samples also show the front-facing camera moved to the left side of the notch, in contrast to its current location to the right side of the notch in previous iPhones with the TrueDepth camera.

According to a report from Japanese site Mac Otakara, the ‌iPhone 13‌'s TrueDepth camera array is "getting narrower" because the receiver at the top of the display will move to the edge of the case, as depicted in the images. DigiTimes also claimed in February that the ‌iPhone 13‌ will feature a redesigned Face ID system that will allow for a smaller notch at the top of the screen.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also said that the ‌iPhone 13‌ will have a smaller notch, although he did not mention the earpiece being repositioned.

The notch's design has gone unchanged since it debuted on the iPhone X in 2017. After the subtle tweaks to the notch in this year's upcoming iPhone series, Kuo believes Apple will abandon the notch for a "punch-hole" design for some of its 2022 iPhones, before it transitions to a real full-screen display in 2023 with the aid of an under-display Face ID system, which would remove the need for notches and holes entirely.

Other ‌‌iPhone 13‌‌ rumors have suggested that the device will feature 120Hz "ProMotion" displays, a faster A15 chip, larger batteries, and more.

Article Link: More Leaked iPhone 13 Samples Show Smaller Notch, Repositioned Earpiece and Front Camera

Last edited:

maxolson

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Wow, only took them 5 years to make something that looks 3 years old. Take your time Apple.
I mean, you gotta keep the design in context: this is as good as it gets for cramming the smallest commercial LIDAR face scanner on the planet in there.

Comment

hdn

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
DuanRui is not a leaker. He just reposts stuff from Weibo.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Still nowhere near enough. I hate the look of that thing.

Still, I've learned to ignore it mostly.

Comment

Koni17

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Good. My iPhone X is starting to show it’s age battery wise. Time for a new one!
I too want to replace my iPhone X, I even would have replaced the battery if it were not for the cracked front and back. If the iPhone 13 has a ceramic shield screen AND backing, that would be the ultimate win for me.

The iPhone 12 just didn't seem like a significant upgrade in comparison to the iPhone X that I could justify upgrading - so maybe with a smaller notch and 120hz screen, it'll be much more enticing.

Comment

AlexESP

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
Wow, only took them 5 years to make something that looks 3 years old. Take your time Apple.
Since you’re a frequent user I assume you know it’s definitely not the same thing others have made for 3 years. In fact no one has made it yet.

Comment

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Who remembers seeing these "iPhone 12 sample/case/etc shows smaller notch" leaks last year?

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Since you’re a frequent user I assume you know it’s definitely not the same thing others have made for 3 years. In fact no one has made it yet.
I look to Apple to leapfrog the "others" every now and then. Just like they were the first ones to introduce a Retina display 11 years ago and it was WOW. I was wishing they'd funnel some of their mythical budget into R&D for the first viable notchless phone by now. Alas, Tim is so hesitant to pay for new tooling they'd bring back the original Newton moulds if they could.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Honestly.. I really look forward to seeing how able can slightly resposition its sensors/tech year after year. I really like the phone receiver being at the top like that.

Definitely looking forward to this release.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I’m shocked at how there have been no design leaks for the new iMacs and almost daily there is something on the iphones this Fall.
Probably because they make less of those and whoever is responsible for leaks doesn’t care to risk getting caught for photo or part of a computer.

Comment

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
It’s almost like Apple is milking this notch process. They know the public wants the notch to go away yet Apple doesn’t want to give it all away this quickly. Just incremental changes when we know Apple has the ability and money to do away with the notch all together.

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
It’s almost like Apple is milking this notch process. They know the public wants the notch to go away yet Apple doesn’t want to give it all away this quickly. Just incremental changes when we know Apple has the ability and money to do away with the notch all together.
It's Tim Cook we're talking about. He's gonna milk it to an inch of its life.

Comment

Populus

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Nice, at least my last iPhone (13 mini) will have a smaller notch.
At this point, the only thing I care about is having Touch ID under the glass. I don’t care about the notch to be honest.

Comment

Loughrey101

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
I’m shocked at how there have been no design leaks for the new iMacs and almost daily there is something on the iphones this Fall.
That's because iPhones she their most popular. iMacs are only responsible for very small sales, with Macbooks dominating their computer market

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.