More Mac Apps on Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by teejaysplace, Jun 15, 2007.

1. teejaysplace macrumors member

Hey all,

I've been pondering this for quite a while and I thought now would be an excellent time to throw it out. After working in a fairly evenly split PC-Mac workflow, I really think that Apple should make a foray into a cross-platform Office suite. If they were to offer Pages & Keynote in a Windows version, it would provide businesses and schools with an excellent alternative to the staples of MS Office. (Although, I don't know how Microsoft's MBU would feel about this.)

As much as people thump Windows' ubiquity in the office, it quickly strikes me that Mac has far superior networking and conferencing tools available on it. Consider, if you will, a bundle that contained Pages, Keynote, (Unreleased Spreadsheet App), iCal, iChat, Address Book and Mail. Now I work in television, which requires a lot of travel. The potential of iChat's ability to interface with Keynote and provide an instant video-conferencing solution would be reason enough for me to pitch the switch. Also, speaking of television, there is a little-known trick that allows you to export your Final Cut Pro preview window to iChat, so that your producer can view real-time edits remotely.

You may be asking why I would add iCal to this package? Well, one of the most frustrating tasks that I was ever delegated was to find an easy to use cross-platform calendar program similar to Calendar Creator (which is about 10,000 years old.) I suggested that iCal was the easiest calendar program I knew of, but unfortunately it wasn't cross platform, so no dice. In the end, the answer was that there aren't any cross-platform calendar programs even remotely similar to Calendar Creator, so guess what they're still using? Ug...

This brings up Mail and Address Book. In terms of an office setting, Apple's integration of these programs makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, without them, you're left depending on MS Outlook, the latest incarnation of which is quite possibly one of the most frustrating programs in the history of the universe. Not only that, but providing an office solution without a viable e-mail client (when MS already does so) wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the end user.

Now I know what you're saying - giving away bits of iLife and iWork reduces people's incentive to switch, which should be every Mac fanboy's goal. After all, why buy the milk when you can get the cow for free (or $149, at the very least.) Apple, however, doesn't seem to feel the same way, at least not entirely. They've already ported Safari to Windows in a very cunning attempt at increasing the Mac's foothold in the Windows Universe. Making a foray into office productivity would balance the bar even further in Apple's favour. Granted, in my ideal universe we'd have an all-Mac workflow and I wouldn't need to be having this argument. Unfortunately, the cost of our beloved Mac hardware makes stingy IT purchasers balk at that prospect. I mean think about it - are you really going to pop $999 so that your front desk receptionist can have a striking new iMac, when you could outfit her with an $499 Dell instead? I think not.

But what about the switchers? Those loyal converts that Apple has lovingly wooed to it's bosom with it's amazing hardware and suite of exclusive applications? The beauty is that they would still be getting the majority of these Apps for free, while Windows clients would be paying a premium. Moreover, if such a move provided to be financially successful, Apple could toy with the idea of bundling iWork with OS X and making up the lost revenue though the Windows sales. Plus, having more copies of iWork on Macs would only further increase the likelihood of it popping up elsewhere.

All in all, I think it would be a sound prospect, both financially and strategically. It would be like delivering an entire cooler of Coke and push-up pops to someone in hell, and that's a pretty fun analogy.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I could see it happening... it'd be interesting to see, because at some point, in several years, Apple could say, "Hey, you're running all our apps on top of Windows now. And they're (*cough* assuming Apple works on this) great apps, solid, stable, easy to use. But you still have Windows underneath with its viruses and security advisers. Why not just drop the Windows part?"

iLife seems like the strongest contender to me.

iCal does seem like a possibility. In particular, Leopard has an iCal server that allows for read-write served calendars. Granted that there are other solutions to view the iCal format on Windows, iCal would certainly make sense for easing Leopard serving for a mixed environment.

3. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Sound interesting, and it may work well but that is what Mozilla is for. They already producing a cross platform(including linux) calender application, & then there is Thunberbird, which imho is better than Apple's mail software, Outlook and Outlook express. As for cross platform office suite there is OpenOffice, which works well when viewing power-points, using spreadsheets and taking notes. However, the lack of a grammar checker like MS Office is a weakness. The only thing that is missing would be a suitable cross-platform ichat alternative. I really hate AIM, MSN has some nice co-op sharing feature, but still clunky and Yahoo, don't know much about their latests efforts so I cant say anything there. I personally like Pidgin(formally GAIM), but there is no OSX version and only has some simple sharing features.

Best thing about Mozilla's software and OpenOffice is the fact that they are free.

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

hmm... interesting read of everybody

Mozilla definitely has the multi-platform thing, but firefox seems to me, to be getting more and more fat. they still do firefox for the PC, and they do have camino, which is a lot less hefty. and they do have thunderbird cross-platformed. I did not know of a calender app from them.

I am trying to get someone to try safari on the PC because of the despise for the newly updated IE7, which she despises. Needless to say, it did not install quite right, le sigh, go apple dev team!

Is cross-platformed 3rd party free-ware going to take over as more and more :apple: is tipping the scales to be more even?

5. bloodycape macrumors 65816

The calender app is called Sunbird but that is a stand alone app. They also have something called Lightning that is an addon that runs within Thunderbird. Firefox maybe getting a little fat but that is kinda of due to all the add-on is has. Plus Firefox is one of the more flexable apps. You might wanna try Firefox lite(or what ever that version for flash drives is called) its a basic version with the "fat" cut.

I dunno if it is because of Apple but open source software like Firefox and Netscape have been changing people minds for a while now.