Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaxbrokenheart

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2003
St. Lousy, Misery
Originally posted by kcmac
I have had .mac since it became available. I think Apple has always been good about providing value along the way. These last items are just a continuation of this idea. I have always felt .mac was worth it.
i also had it since the beginning because i wanted to keep my email address. but, i didn't think it was very valuable then (although, i understand why they did it), now it's worth it.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Total free and discount stuff so far:
  • 100 Free Kodak prints via iPhoto
  • Alchemy Deluxe
  • $10 off Bejeweled Deluxe
  • Backup
  • DropStuff
  • Super GameHouse Solitaire!
  • Marble Blast (it's remarkably fun)
  • StickyBrain
  • $10 off F10 Launch Studio
  • Super Collapse
  • Discount on Super Nisqually
  • Virex 7
  • The Sims/$20 off at the Apple Store/1 year Everquest subscription (with renewal)
  • $30 off a FW hard drive
  • iBlog
  • and VersionTracker Plus
That's all I know for sure, but I might be forgetting one... not too bad, I think, for $49, soon to be $99 a year, to say nothing of iDisk, homepage, support forums where Apple actually answers your questions, email, and Virex virus updates. Well worth the price, IMO.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Re: US only

Originally posted by jamesema
To bad you cant get the deal on the FW hard drives unless you live in America. You would think Apple would try harder since Canadians are paying $118 to renew their .mac accounts.
Jamesema

Is that $118 U.S. or Canadian?

If Canadian, it's worth $77 U.S. currently,
better deal than we get.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by simX
Now all I want is a free copy of Snapz Pro X for movies with my .mac subscription. Can you believe that they're going to charge $69 for Snapz Pro X 2 with movies? Even if the performance is as great as they say it is, I don't think $69 will be worth it anymore.

Yes, but have you seen the amazing quality of the SnapZ Pro X 2 movies? Absolutely incredible, and with perfect, synched sound to boot. If you have a need for this sort of app, the $69 will be totally worth it once the final app is released.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: Spammmit!!!!

Originally posted by psxndc
I already have two of those (VT+ and iBlog). That being said, they were both worth the money I paid for them and bundles like this are starting to lean me towards finally getting a .Mac subscription.

-p

A year ago, I was somewhat leery about the .Mac account, but after the nice little bonuses they added, I'm glad I did! I got Dropstuff for free, plus a few nice games (Alchemy and Marble Blast), plus a few other programs which I could get...if I wanted them. This iBlog and VT+ sounds good. I'm going to check that out. And top it all off that I'm probably going to renew and get Everquest. :) Oh, plus there is the web space (good for archiving some files) and my e-mail account, which I use for my Mac-related business. Especially when I was in college, I had quite a few e-mail accounts, and each tended to have its own particular purpose.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Interestingly, I got an email asking me, as a .mac customer, to participate in a survey about two or three weeks ago. Among the questions was one about other free gifts we, as .mac subscribers, might want. I remember a blogging app and VersionTracker being choices. I know I voted for VersionTracker. Other possibilities listed were arcade games and puzzle games. I can't remember what the other choices were.

I'm surprised at the quick turnaround from the survey to results.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by jimthorn
Yes, but have you seen the amazing quality of the SnapZ Pro X 2 movies? Absolutely incredible, and with perfect, synched sound to boot. If you have a need for this sort of app, the $69 will be totally worth it once the final app is released.

Heh, Ambrosia is asking $20 more just because they fixed the performance problems. Worth it? I don't particularly think so... I was already leery about the $49 price, although that was probably worth it.

Guess I'll just have to wait for another Shareware Amnesty Week. :rolleyes:

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Running my own webdesign/hosting company on the side has made me never see the benifit of .mac (bar the idisk)...if they start adding little features and addons like this then i may well consider it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Total free and discount stuff so far:
  • 100 Free Kodak prints via iPhoto
  • Alchemy Deluxe
  • $10 off Bejeweled Deluxe
  • Backup
  • DropStuff
  • Super GameHouse Solitaire!
  • Marble Blast (it's remarkably fun)
  • StickyBrain
  • $10 off F10 Launch Studio
  • Super Collapse
  • Discount on Super Nisqually
  • Virex 7
  • The Sims/$20 off at the Apple Store/1 year Everquest subscription (with renewal)
  • $30 off a FW hard drive
  • iBlog
  • and VersionTracker Plus
That's all I know for sure, but I might be forgetting one... not too bad, I think, for $49, soon to be $99 a year, to say nothing of iDisk, homepage, support forums where Apple actually answers your questions, email, and Virex virus updates. Well worth the price, IMO.

Good list but it was Super Nisqually for free and a discount of Super Collapse I think.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
That is a good list and .mac does indeed seem to be worth $99....... except that in the UK we cannot get all of the benefits and yet we still have to pay the same price. e.g. no rebate on FW drives and no free prints (in fact no prints for any price).

Add this to the lack of other services - Sherlock, iTMS, iPhoto books etc and it does seem that Apple UK is taking us for a ride.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Who's gonna complain, but it's a standard $30 rebate from the manufacturer, and you have to buy the drive buy Saturday Sept 27th if you want to take advantage.

See Attached

Originally posted by kherdin
It appears the 30 dollar rebate on the Firewire drives is available to anyone, not just .Mac subscribers.

Attachments

• 120gbfwdd.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 115

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by jaxbrokenheart
i also had it since the beginning because i wanted to keep my email address. but, i didn't think it was very valuable then (although, i understand why they did it), now it's worth it.
I felt a bit like you did. I subscribed to .mac to keep my email adress and because I could afford it, without being totally convinced of the value of the package. Now it's well worth it.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by dobbin
That is a good list and .mac does indeed seem to be worth $99....... except that in the UK we cannot get all of the benefits and yet we still have to pay the same price. e.g. no rebate on FW drives and no free prints (in fact no prints for any price).

Add this to the lack of other services - Sherlock, iTMS, iPhoto books etc and it does seem that Apple UK is taking us for a ride.

Basically ofoto is now available in the UK. And they are the one providing the printing service in the US, IIRC. So why can't we have the printing service here in the UK, I wonder.

I couldn't be bothered about Sherlock, to be honest, but iTMS and iPhoto printing services should be available to us (I know, I know, iTMS availability in Europe doesn't depend solely on Apple, but still)...

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I would pay money to get this feature

Originally posted by peterj1967
Who's gonna complain, but it's a standard $30 rebate from the manufacturer, and you have to buy the drive buy Saturday Sept 27th if you want to take advantage.

See Attached

If any of you are like me, the whole rebate concept is a frustrating means of price reduction. I would buy .mac in a minute if Apple would create a system where all of the manufacturer rebates on products at the Apple store become instant rebates for .mac subscribers. That would be some serious value.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Wooo Hooo! I was just about to buy iBlog too! And I'm sure I'll enjoy version tracker. Off to .Mac to download...

[EDIT] Just back from .mac and apparently the Version tracker is just for new subscribers. (Someone might have already posted this here.) :mad: Oh well, I've got iBlog now.

PGant

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002
.Mac

Just for the record, the Canadian retail price of .Mac, including sales tax, is $187. Hardly what I would call a bargain, but I've actually found that it's a great service for my company (and the iBlog offer is a nice extra). I'll renew, but I'm convinced that Apple would more than double its subscriber base if it cut the price by $50.

thajeztah

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by kherdin
It appears the 30 dollar rebate on the Firewire drives is available to anyone, not just .Mac subscribers.
Unfortunately this only applies to people in the US...

Apple seems to forget that there are also people -outside- the US.
Living in Europe, I also pay $99 for my .Mac account, also payed for my OS X 10.2 'upgrade' AND bought 'iLife' but..

• I cannot order photo's using iPhoto (I have to export them, and upload them to Kodak using Safari)
  • Because of the above, no.. I did NOT get my 200 free Kodak prints
  • I cannot buy music on the iTunes Music Store
  • I cannot get my $30 discount on a Firewire drive
  • Oh.. not possible to order a printed book from iPhoto...
  • and Apple -STILL- doesn't understand why many people in Europe -dont- 'switch' to Apple?
  • ..Can't we get a 30 dollar discount on .Mac in Europe??

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: I would pay money to get this feature

Originally posted by TMay
If any of you are like me, the whole rebate concept is a frustrating means of price reduction. I would buy .mac in a minute if Apple would create a system where all of the manufacturer rebates on products at the Apple store become instant rebates for .mac subscribers. That would be some serious value.
What's even worse is the mail-in rebate coupon system, as available on dell.com. They are always counting on a non negligible part of their customers forgetting (or just plain anaware, like in the case of a gift) about the coupon.

Oh well...

Tommy Wasabi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
Chicago
iBlog

Originally posted by Centris 650
Wooo Hooo! I was just about to buy iBlog too! And I'm sure I'll enjoy version tracker. Off to .Mac to download...

[EDIT] Just back from .mac and apparently the Version tracker is just for new subscribers. (Someone might have already posted this here.) :mad: Oh well, I've got iBlog now.

I've been a subscriber since .Mac started (I actually got my email address at the Macworld when they introduced Free e-mail).

Any.... I had no problem downloading iBlog - it's not just for new subscribers - it should be for all subscribers.

These new software offerings put me over the edge - I'll be updating my subscription.

Good move Apple. Now if we can just fix that SPAM and Junk mail thing...

robbents99

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2001
Directly under the sun....now.
According to the member benefits screen:

• Discount on SmartDisk FireWire Drives—US$40 value
Offer good through Oct. 22, 2003
.Mac members save US$30 to US$40 on three of SmartDisk's most popular FireWire drives at the online Apple Store.

Already have iBlog, glad to see Apple is getting behind this great app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.