Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider reports that Apple will expand the use of magnets beyond its recent addition to the MacBook Pros' MagSafe power connector which is designed to safely pull away when yanked rather than drag your MacBook Pro to the floor.

According to the rumor site, the upcoming Intel-based iBook will incorporate an entirely magnet based latch technology. At present, the Mac laptops utilize a small magnet to pull a small metal latch down when laptop is closed. In the future, they claim that a stronger magnet will hold the screen shut.

The Intel iBook is also described to house a 13" display, built in iSight, Apple Remote and retain the white enclosure.

There have been a number of rumors surrounding the Intel iBook. At present, the latest expectations pinpoint the iBook replacements to come in March/April.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
wait, they are sure that there won't be intel ibooks on tuesday? my hopes are ruined.:(

I like magnets! The more the merrier. Magnet lids, magsafe, magnet whatever. all is good for me.

EDIT: i hope they are next week. read the article more closely and they say it might happen. they do seem sure about intel mac mini and boombox though. Their specs sound good for me with a 1.67 GHz duo.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Magnetic latch based on bad review?

I can't seem to find it now, but someone in the forums a couple days ago linked to a review of the MacBook Pro that was by someone who apparently had no idea what he was doing. He dropped the MacBook to test if the power connector would really disconnect itself.

i.e. he did it backwards. Instead of yanking the MacBook, and made sure the MacBook didn't fall to the ground; he dropped the MacBook, and made sure that the power cord didn't yank out of the wall socket.... Ooooo-kay. I think I'd rather have the power adapter get destroyed than the notebook, but maybe that's just me...

His other "insightful" observation was that the latch was magnetic, but wouldn't accidentally open, the magnets were so strong. He didn't notice that it is actually two small magnetically-operated latches. One of his pictures even shows the latches in mid-extension.

I wonder if this rumor comes because someone read that, passed it along, and it filtered around (a la the old kids game 'Telephone',) and it came back as a 'new feature' of the iBook.

I, for one, like the 'latchless' connectors when done right; like the original clamshell iBook, and the ultra-thin Sony that looks so thin it could cut you. They should hold the notebook closed tightly enough to prevent accidental opening; hold their power for a very long time (not weaken over time,) and yet not be so hard to open that it's a struggle.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
not entirely apple's idea...

Not to take anything away from Apple's awesome idea to use magnets in the plug of a laptop, but magnetic breakaway plugs are nothing new. Fondue pots (and probably other portable cooking devices like deep friers, crock pots, etc.) have had them for at least 5 years.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just thought I'd mention it. Appleinsider kind of makes it sound like Apple is the only company to use magnets for anything besides sticking a shopping list to the fridge.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
ehurtley said:
I can't seem to find it now, but someone in the forums a couple days ago linked to a review of the MacBook Pro that was by someone who apparently had no idea what he was doing. He dropped the MacBook to test if the power connector would really disconnect itself.

i.e. he did it backwards. Instead of yanking the MacBook, and made sure the MacBook didn't fall to the ground; he dropped the MacBook, and made sure that the power cord didn't yank out of the wall socket.... Ooooo-kay. I think I'd rather have the power adapter get destroyed than the notebook, but maybe that's just me...

His other "insightful" observation was that the latch was magnetic, but wouldn't accidentally open, the magnets were so strong. He didn't notice that it is actually two small magnetically-operated latches. One of his pictures even shows the latches in mid-extension.

I wonder if this rumor comes because someone read that, passed it along, and it filtered around (a la the old kids game 'Telephone',) and it came back as a 'new feature' of the iBook.

I, for one, like the 'latchless' connectors when done right; like the original clamshell iBook, and the ultra-thin Sony that looks so thin it could cut you. They should hold the notebook closed tightly enough to prevent accidental opening; hold their power for a very long time (not weaken over time,) and yet not be so hard to open that it's a struggle.

i saw that review, a little messed up. i agree that i would rather have the charger brreak than the laptop.

however, i don't think that the rumor was based on that. it seems likely and logical. We will all see soon:D They have used magnets in ibooks in the past, and with this latest trend towards magnets in macs, it seems very likely. maybe even a small revision to the MBPs, who knows.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
It was pretty inevitable that they would put the magsafe connector on the iBook, as far as im concerned there would be no harm having it on all mac's...

Shadow;)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
so how are you going to open it if it is magnetically held down? at least when it had a latch, you could press the button and it would give you enough room to slide your finger under and open the lid...

Hope they have thought of that...

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
remember back in the day when if u put a magnet near a computer it would mess it up? lol.

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The Intel-based iBook, which may make its debut under a new product name such as MacBook, is rumored to be the most heavily redesigned Macintosh to come out of Apple's industrial design labs in the last two years.

The notebook reportedly resembles a shrunken MacBook Pro, based around a 13-inch high-resolution display, but clad in iBook white. Like Apple's iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro, the new iBooks are also expected to pack a built-in iSight video camera, Apple Remote, and Front Row media software.

I love this idea of magnetism, great design-decision (assuming Apple will pull it off, which they likely will).
Moreover, this quote is like music to my ears. Since I first saw the G4 Powerbook, I've been wondering what it would look like in white. Don't ask me why, but this seems to me as though we'll be seeing a white anodized aluminum case. Here's to hoping...

Oh, yeah. Apple: if you introduce it on Tuesday, my birthday will be complete!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Magnets are good. Soon as I saw that Mag/power/safe thing I knew that this was the way forward. magnetic USB and all that. magnetic lid. it's all good.

I think the white casing could look better. a little more finesse and I'd have probably got an iBook over my Powerbook.

still though, if the iBook doesn't support monitor spanning without a hack and the graphics card is weak... I'll get myself a MacBook Pro.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
longofest said:
so how are you going to open it if it is magnetically held down? at least when it had a latch, you could press the button and it would give you enough room to slide your finger under and open the lid...

Hope they have thought of that...

i am sure they have. it could simply be a little stronger than the magsafe, that would hold it and it would be fine. It could also have a small button on the side that would cut power to it if it is an electric magnet. I don't know how many people probably got crumbs or something inside of that little slit in the case (i have only gotten some cream cheese), but it could happen alot. Also, having that tiny little clip on the top. if it got stuck open or something, it could break. The fewer moving parts and openings in a laptop the better IMO.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
I've always liked the white form factor, my original G3 iBook 600mHz is still going strong and being used by a friend while she awaits her MacBP. Come to think of it, if this thing is as full featured as the rumors I'll tell her to save a $1000 and go for one!

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
Wow it sure is hard getting first post around here :eek:

I like the idea of a magnetically held hinge, thats very Apple...So minimalistic and clean.

Thanks, Joe.

PS: WOOOHOOO, Just realised, NOT A "NEWBIE" ANYMORE!!! :D :D :D :D

monkeyandy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
MacBooks !

From what i'vee been reading on the rumor sites this new MacBook sounds amazing! I've 100% faith in Apple that this laptop will be the dogs b******s! My credit card is just waiting for this!

I do have a bad feeling that they won't release this quite yet though and will probably annouce it on the 30th birthday. Lets hope its this week though!

Anyone else noticed this Microsoft Origami thing yet? Sounds just like the rumors to do with the new iPod. Again i don't think this (if it is real!) will be released until 30th b'day.

I predict Mac minis and iPod accesories. I hope for this MacBook though! Fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
that pretty much does it for 12 inch macbook pro IMO. I would not be surprised, like others here, if Apple uses different name for all of their notebook lines.

the new ibook or macbook or watever will probably have core duo version as well as core solo version. but the key is that consumer laptops focus more on battery life it seems. that's why I think Apple will use that low-voltage core duo chip for core duo version (I think it was 1.67ghz but I might be wrong).

I believe $999 one will have core solo chip. or it is possible to have that notebook in cheaper price than $999. it could go to $899 possibly.

$1499 one will probably have that core duo chip I discussed about with about 60gb HD.

these price points make perfect sense IMO. however, because chips are not cheap yet, I would not be surprised if Jobs say something like "we are taking orders starting today and we will ship by end of March."

or it certainly is possible that Apple would like to milk macbook pro for one more month and then announce macbook in April with lowered chip price.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds believable. I'm hoping for some Core Duo in the 13" or smaller range--be it a smaller MacBook Pro or a high-end iBook/MacBook. (Core Solo will be Apple's low-end I predict, for both iBooks and Mac Mini.)

iSight and Front Row across the line would be very cool! I can still see them withholding those from the low end, but hopefully not.

If the iBook/MacBook's magnet turns out to be strong enough that it can't just be easily pulled open (like the spring-loaded latchless early iBooks) then I imagine the following release mechanism:

* Magnet hidden in the plastic of the case, which attracts a magnet or metal hidden in the lid. (Nothing visible.)

* When you push the "latch" button, the hidden magnet in the case sinks deeper, away from the surface, thus allowing the lid to spring open. A "latch" button with no visible latch.

(Also, I still see no need for Apple to limit themselves just two distinct lines of laptops as in the past. The new naming lets them have multiple categories if they wish some day, not just consumer/pro. Maybe a top-end ultrathin ultraportable, for instance, that in some ways is lower than an iBook/MacBook, but in other ways higher.)

skwert

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
i like it. my roommate has an asus laptop that has the mag. lid and it's really hot.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
ibok (my rendering)

here is what i think the new 13.3" ibook will look like :

ibookrendered.jpg

Attachments

• ibook rendered.jpg
    ibook rendered.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 509

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Will all these magnets affect the screen and(or) HDD curious. I know people in the past complaining that the ACD and iMac G5 has a magnet on the top of the screen to mount an iSight, and it used to cause problems. Unless I am confused in the whole matter and Apple is shielding the magnets. :confused:

So now I can stick magnets on my notebook along with "to do" notes. ;) :)

ro2nie

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
Oxford
Macrumors said:

Appleinsider reports that Apple will expand the use of magnets beyond its recent addition to the MacBook Pros' MagSafe power connector which is designed to safely pull away when yanked rather than drag your MacBook Pro to the floor.

According to the rumor site, the upcoming Intel-based iBook will incorporate an entirely magnet based latch technology. At present, the Mac laptops utilize a small magnet to pull a small metal latch down when laptop is closed. In the future, they claim that a stronger magnet will hold the screen shut.

The Intel iBook is also described to house a 13" display, built in iSight, Apple Remote and retain the white enclosure.

There have been a number of a number of rumors surrounding the Intel iBook. At present, the latest expectations pinpoint the iBook replacements to come in March/April.

There first post has an error:

"There have been a number of a number of rumors"

:)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
direzz said:
here is what i think the new 13.3" ibook will look like :

edited out

nice pic! it still says ibook g4 on it btw. I do think that they will have some sort of change in design, not just sticking an isight on top and an IR port on the bottom (as they did with the MBP).

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I just hope they are able to keep the price good on this. If they could keep the price at like $999 or $899 they could make this a prime choice for people are are torn between a Windows machine and a Mac machine. They could get the Mac machine and it would be affordable.

Someone else pointed out a Core Solo would be better suited for this price range; however, I think in that case those people would spend the extra $400-$600 for the machine with the Core Duo that shows more performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.