More MBP release questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klymr, May 16, 2007.

  1. klymr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #1
    I am a college student going into graphic design. I was looking at purchasing the 17" MBP, but then I stumbled upon this board and was reading all this speculation about the release of the new MBP's. What is everyone's thoughts on the 17" getting the LED backlit screens? I know there has been info on the 13" and 15.4" screens, but I haven't heard of a 17" screen being updated.

    Sorry for sounding like a noob, but that's what I am so I'm gunna continue to ask dumb questions. I've only waited since nearly day 1 of the release of the MacBook Pro over a year ago, I guess I'll continue to wait. It is worth waiting afterall, isn't it?
     
  2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #2
    No need to apologize, there's no such thing as a stupid question - we're all here to help each other.

    In terms of the 17" MBP, I don't think anyone knows for sure about the LED screens. Apple has publicly stated that they will be transitioning to LED technology in their displays, but when exactly we will start seeing them, and whether they will only be in the actual ACDs for starters or across the line remains to be seen. They are coming this year though, we know that for sure.

    In general though, I think there is a very good probability that the MBP line will receive an update in a few weeks at WWDC. What the specifics will be, and what's in store for the 17" model is anyone's guess though.

    I can't be much more help than that I'm afraid...
     
  3. desk003 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    Location:
    Vincennes, IN, USA
    #3
    they won't, not for awhile anyway. Too expensive at that size still.
     
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #4
    Yeah, they could very well be. That being said, I still think there will be updates to the entire MBP line at WWDC, LED technology or not. I'm hoping for Santa Rosa and some other upgrades. :cool:
     
  5. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #5
    So, would you suggest waiting a few weeks (obviously) and watching what happens? I am looking for something that will be fairly quick and was hoping to get something soon. I almost went out and bought an ASUS G1, but kinda steered away from that and back to the Mac (I have never owned a Mac, but I have used them a bit while using Final Cut Pro) even though it's nearly twice the price. I know I can't go wrong with the MBP.

    I guess what I am looking for is the best package for running graphic design programs, as well as Final Cut Pro. Oh, and I guess I would also be running Windows on it for a program I use at work that only runs in Windows. I am wondering if I would be better off waiting to see what happens, or just going with the 2.33ghz and 2GB of RAM (gotta save some cash somewhere). I hate this waiting game!
     
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #6
    You are correct, the MBP is a great choice. And I wouldn't say it's twice as much when you factor in all the excellent software you get bundled with it for free, its longevity, reliability, resale value, etc.

    Regardless, if you really need something soon, I'd say just buy. However if you can wait 3 weeks, in this case I would recommend waiting. Normally I'm the one to say don't play the waiting game, or else that's all you'll ever end up doing - waiting! Buy what you need when you need it and you can never go too wrong. That's usually the best advice for when you don't know when a product will be updated. In this case though, even though nothing is for certain, we know for sure that there is a huge event coming up in only 23 weeks and that it is geared towards developers/prosumers. The MBP is a prosumer machine. This is why I think there is a very good chance we will see an update to the MBP line at WWDC. Plus, with the recent MacBook updates, they have inches a bit closer in comparison to the MBP line, and APple will need to refresh the M<BP line soon in order to maintain adequate product differentiation.

    So, I'd say if you can wait 3 more weeks, you might as well. MBPs are due for an update soon in general, but if they don't come at WWDC, you might want to think about just biting the bullet and getting the current model. It is a great machine and will do what you need just fine, especially with 2 GB of RAM. Even if updates come out shortly after you buy, you can rest easy knowing you got a great machine that will do what you need and will last you a long time.

    Not sure if this helps, but it's my $0.02... :cool:
     

Share This Page