More meaningful invention

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

IC Engine or transistor

I say the IC engine as without it, nit would be much harder to manufacture on a large scale and transport out

what do you think?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I'd say the IC engine as well. I think the distances we traveled with the IC really led to the need for the transistor in some really indirect way.

3. TheVendor macrumors member

Well, these guys certainly believe that it's the IC engine. Think of all that it's done for their cause! :rolleyes:

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh man lol

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Transistor. No contest. Internal combustion engines are waaay over hyped.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yeah, I'd go for the transistor as well. A marvel of miniaturization, compression and portability, whereas one might argue that the internal combustion stalled (design wise) for a long time.

Cheers

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

My vote goes for the transistor. Think of all the things it has helped to achieve.. mapping the human genome is one example.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The transistor.

The IC Engine, if never invented, would have been replaced with an electrical one.

9. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

The transistor and the evolution into Jack Kilby's "Monolithic Integrated Circuit" I think was a more meaningful invention than the internal combustion engine.
    It's descendants have changed the way we view, communicate, interact and understand the world & universe - not to say the IC engine wasn't a technical achievement in its own right... but as far as progress goes, the IC engine is still used primarily as a means of propulsion for vehicles or as generators.

The Microchip however, has become a vital part of modern life - found everywhere, and its uses still being discovered and designs improved upon.

So my vote is for the Transistor - changing the way we do things since 1947.
    :)

10. Queso macrumors G4

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Another vote for transistor. Anyone remember learning vacuum tube theory?

13. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Isn't this kind of like arguing which is more delicious, hamburgers or ice cream? I mean, yes they are both foods(and in this case inventions), but one is not really a substitute for the other. We are all blessed(and/or cursed depending on your view point) to have both available to us.

14. thesurgeon macrumors newbie

Transistor is good IC is better

I just heard that the IC is 50 years old. Yes the transistor is an important invention. And people like Jack Kilby planted the seeds for it to evolve with the IC he invented at the Texas lab in 1958.

Just a fews days back I dismantled an old 1974 Sony TV Camera. It weights 19Kg and is loaded with lots of transistors and a little ics. Would thermionic valves have created this beauty back in 1974?

Think again, what ICs have done to the camera - just look at the Sony Handycam now.

You can gawked at the internals of the 1974 Sony TV Studio Camera here ==

http://www.home-electronics-review.blogspot.com