More Members for Folding@Home

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally posted by Falleron
Ok, I have downloaded the console version + am running 1 copy on my machine. I'll start doing my bit for the Folding team.
Thanks for reconsidering! Do you have all the information you need to run it as local so that you may run one on each processor? I've been doing it for a bit so I would be happy to help. :)
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
I'm really happy with our ouput as well. Besides having almost 100 members, we have a great deal more actively contributing than ever before.

I think with the kind of spirit we have, we'll be one of the top mac teams, in time. Keep up the great effort. :)
 

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
621
0
it's great to see more people getting into folding. i dont know how sucessful we will be in recruiting. we might be better off recruiting machines than members. any ideas on how to do that?
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Almost 100

We've got almost 100 names on the team list now. A few haven't been active lately, though.

I also noticed that we've been passed by MacNN even though we're back at #41.

As far as recruiting machines, what does that really mean? Several members have added machines to their contribution already. I may upgrade an older machine to a G3 so I can try to run Mac OS X.

I still think we need the members who have done one or two work units to contribute regularly. I know it takes time on some machines. I've had some which take 5 or 6 days on my PM G3/400, but I believe it's worthwhile to help out in any way that we can. My dad suffers from memory loss but if what I'm contributing can help someone else's parents so they don't have to experience this mess, I will continue to do my best.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by bousozoku


Thanks for reconsidering! Do you have all the information you need to run it as local so that you may run one on each processor? I've been doing it for a bit so I would be happy to help. :)
Its just a question of setting up 2 versions of the commands line isn't it so that it runs on both processors? Anyway, for the moment I will stick at running on 1 processor - I still like to do some processing for SETI as well. I do think that the Folding project is a worth while cause though. I am determined to get myself a higher ranking though!! 56th position is a little low!
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
Steps to recruiting machines:
--
• should you fold on it?
• can you fold on it?
• is it fast enough to complete a WU in a reasonable amount of time?
• if it is fast enough, can you keep it on for long periods?

When I look at a machine, these are the questiuons I ask. If the answer to all of these is yes, then please use it for folding.
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
Originally posted by Falleron

Its just a question of setting up 2 versions of the commands line isn't it so that it runs on both processors?
If you or anyone else ever want to run it on both processors, I can make you a script.

There is also a way to run console folding w/o having to have the Terminal.app open (it involves root).

If any of this sounds appealing to anyone, I can provide more detials.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by mc68k
If you or anyone else ever want to run it on both processors, I can make you a script.

There is also a way to run console folding w/o having to have the Terminal.app open (it involves root).
Cheers mc68k. Dont worry about it on my account for now. I'm sticking with 1 CPU at the moment. I am considering dropping SETI, so if that happens I'll let you know.
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Re: Almost 100

Originally posted by bousozoku
…
I also noticed that we've been passed by MacNN even though we're back at #41.
…
Actually they haven't passed us, we're just closing in on them. The last Mac team we passed was MacCentral, some 10,000 points ago...:D
 

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
647
0
The Netherlands
Is there anyone with sufficient cocoa knowledge to port the Folding Control app. to 10.2? Since the move to Jaguar the app doesn't work anymore. Can we do this?
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Re: Re: Almost 100

Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Actually they haven't passed us, we're just closing in on them. The last Mac team we passed was MacCentral, some 10,000 points ago...:D
Ahhhh, now I feel much better. I noticed the Univ. of Hawaii at Manoa fell back...I guess we closed out a bunch of the bigger work units to reclaim our position. :)
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Is there anyone with sufficient cocoa knowledge to port the Folding Control app. to 10.2? Since the move to Jaguar the app doesn't work anymore. Can we do this?
The Folding Control app just executes commands like a script. The only difference is that it has a progress bar and requires an app to drive it (less CPU cycles for folding).

If you can go to /Users/[username]/Library/Folding@home/work/logfile_0#.txt periodically instead of looking at a progress bar, then I can make you a script. I might even be able to make one where it doesn't require Terminal to be open (more CPU cycles for folding).

It would be nice if someone could develop again, but in the meantime this is a viable solution.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally posted by mc68k
Steps to recruiting machines:
--
• should you fold on it?
• can you fold on it?
• is it fast enough to complete a WU in a reasonable amount of time?
• if it is fast enough, can you keep it on for long periods?

When I look at a machine, these are the questiuons I ask. If the answer to all of these is yes, then please use it for folding.
Do the machines answer you? :D
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Ok this is weird! I left Folding running on my machine + came back to a message saying it had failed to connect (I presume it had finished a unit). Anyway, I connected to the net + the messages dissapeared and continued processing, I think. However, more than half a day on, there is no increase to my stats on the team page. Any ideas? Surely it cant take that long to update?
 

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
647
0
The Netherlands
Falleron,

The stats take some time to update. But you'll be there!


mc68k,

I'll try to make the app, so that way we can have an option of choosing an app that it's much easier to set up. Can you please send me the scripts? With an option to enable 2 processors? Please PM me.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
When I originally stated to fold (when the team was created) I used to get 6 point proteins to look at. Now, I get proteins that give me less than 1 score. Whats going on there? I thought it was just because my system was being benchmarked for the first unit - but the second protein is also tiny.
 

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
So, if you quit to free up some CPU power.....it quits the WU? Is there a way to pause it, and have it start up again when you have available power? Cause I have 60% done on another unit but needed to stop it.....yeah
 

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
1,976
1
The SimCity Deli
Re: Almost 100

Originally posted by bousozoku

.... I may upgrade an older machine to a G3 so I can try to run Mac OS X.
osX runs fine on a g3 -- but Jaguar has a notice that it doesn't run on some g3 systems. Dunno what's going on for that to be so.

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :(
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
Originally posted by teabgs
So, if you quit to free up some CPU power.....it quits the WU? Is there a way to pause it, and have it start up again when you have available power?
Folding takes the idle power of your CPU and folds with it. You won't notice any slowdown with it running.

If you quit folding, it stops folding at the last frame that was completed. 100 frames=1 WU. When you start folding back up, it will start folding at the frame it left off at.
 

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
1,996
0
Re: Re: Almost 100

Originally posted by pimentoLoaf


osX runs fine on a g3 -- but Jaguar has a notice that it doesn't run on some g3 systems. Dunno what's going on for that to be so.

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :(
The utility I use linked in my signature will help those stubborn beige g3 systems run X too.

The 6100 is nubus based, and has a 601 CPU. Both of these factors make for certain that it will never run X.