More Memory mean Less Battery Time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doc412, Apr 7, 2008.

1. doc412 macrumors newbie

Hey, I just got a 4gigs of memory on my new MBP and I feel like the battery does not last as long when it is running on the battery as my old computer which had 2gigs of memory.

is it possible that having more memory runs your computer's battery down faster? has this been documented anywhere?

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert but I think that having more physical sticks of RAM might, but I don't think the same number of sticks with different capacities should matter.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I'd imagine the increase in productivity would result in finishing a project 'sooner'. Furthermore, the 4GB RAM is not always being utilized.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

battery life should be better since the hard drive spins less.

5. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

RAM is a power hog, more RAM = more switching transistors = more power used. Ever felt the vents on a Dell laptop where the RAM is? They get mighty hot.

6. doc412 thread starter macrumors newbie

seems like a lot of conflicting info here.... has anyone ever seen any data on this?

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

isnt that what SSD drives are for --for better battery life? they're basically like ram that can store things without electricity aren't they?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agree with this; the screen, cpu, fan, and drives are the primary power drains. Anything that reduces drive spin should have a positive effect on battery life.

9. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Honestly, my post sums it up as someone who took electrical engineering and used laptops. From the simplest point of view, more RAM will use more power. More RAM will equal faster drain while in sleep mode. Although some say that the hard drive will spin less, that is totally dependent on the situation.