More Memory!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neo110503, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Neo110503 macrumors regular

I was wondering if i upgraded my memory myself would it void my warranty? Is there a way i can do it that they wouldn't know that i did.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

RAM is a user-replaceable item so you won't void your warranty. Specify what type of computer you have. RAM installation is generally very simple and straightforward, with the installation instructions included with the documentation of your Mac.

3. twombles62 macrumors member

Search the board, i bet you there's another thread about this on the front page.
    Whichever memory you mean, RAM or HDD, they are both legal and will not void the warranty.

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

5. kufel macrumors newbie

It does not void your warranty, however any damage done to the machine while upgrading can void it, so be very careful when doing it, good luck!

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Some jerk at the Apple Store at the Eaton Centre in Toronto told me that using non-Apple RAM does void the warranty. He was a very cocky sales rep, and was really trying to hard-sell me the MacBook. When I disagreed with him and asked him to show me that in the warranty, he insisted he was right and just pointed at a MacBook and told me to look it up on Apple.ca, and then walked away. That's a first at the Apple Store for me.

He also told me that you need a Superdrive to read DVDs, and that a 2.2 Ghz processor is a very noticeable speed difference from a 2.0 while using the MacBook for common tasks (iLife, Office, Safari, etc).

I walked straight over to another rep, asked the same questions, and got the right answers (doesn't void the warranty unless you damage during install, Combo drive reads DVDs, not a very noticeable speed difference for common task usage). I, of course, pointed out the rogue sales rep and suggested that she educate him on the products he is trying to sell.

/still shaking my head.

7. hajime macrumors 68030

I heard similar thing as well. I was considering to upgrade my santa rosa MBP to 4G. I asked the Apple guy what I could do with the original RAM.
    I considered to sell them but the Apple guy told me to keep them. He said that in case of repairing, I need to put those RAM back before sending the machine to Apple...

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I think I'd keep mine too after an upgrade (very soon hopefully;)
    for that purpose exactly...I know it's kind of stupid but I'd rather send my macbook in for possible repairing with the original RAM installed

9. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help. I am looking to upgrade my RAM and have found a few good deals on it, and might go about it today :D