Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b8rtm8nn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2001
Pay attention

Ambi-Lemon is correct about this rumor, the G4 architecture supposedly will be processed at .13 micron, have direct access to memory, sit on RapidIO bus and (possibly) have HyperTransport to GPU.

They processor itself may not be spectacular but the bottlenecks to them will be nullified providing a big boost in real performance. Think of all the ground work ramping up to the G5 coming out now and the new chip arriving next year. It looks as MWNY will be impressive for the PowerMac.

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
THAT LAST POST IS CONFUSING...

I DON'T GET THE WHOLE PILL THING, FLAMING EYES? WHY SHOULD THAT MEAN I TAKE 2 PDA RUMOR RELIEF PILLS?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Easy, Liamcow.

First of all, there is a very prominent member on board the forums, named eyelikeart. Many of us just shortcut his name to "eye".

Second, if you have noticed his signature, he does not want to hear anything more about a PDA rumor.

Third, eye has been known to deal out a few harsh comments to those who rumor about PDAs (here we call them flamewars, although they really aren't appropriate). So I made the comment for eye about the name iWalkMovies, since his name and his post involve something PDA-related, which may result in his flaming.

Lastly, I have made this joke earlier, that because of all the PDA rumor cr*p going about eye may be suffering from blinding lights, slight dizziness, and pain in the cranium. So I brought up a PDA rumor relief pill, made up, as a joke.

scott_meinzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2002
G5

I am expecting the G5 i dont know speeds or anything but this is my own personal little solving, Apple has about updated almost all of the product line in the months before MWNY. So either we get a new iApp or 2 new digital Devices or a G5. Now we are all expecting suprises, would you not be complete suprised if steve came out with the G5? No one thinks were gonna get it and thats why its a suprise and thats why i think we will get the G5.

Just My 2 cents (Flame All U WANT!)
/Scott Meinzer

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
i still beleive

that steve will give us somthin in the powermacs that will suprise us all. Maybe nothing, that would suprise us right?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by ericb88
...steve will give us somthin in the powermacs that will suprise us all. Maybe nothing, that would suprise us right?

All right, wiseguy. If nothing is inside something, and that something is a PowerMac, is it a PowerMac if nothing is inside?

scott, I wouldn't flame you, but I would criticize this statement: "So either we get a new iApp or 2 new digital Devices or a G5." You are saying that you most likely know that either one of the three is coming out. And my argument against it is that AFAIK there has been no real evidence or proof that either of these will debut at New York.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by G5orbust
U should have posted this in one of the other 5,000,000,000,000 MWNY prediction threads. But, like Verbose said, we can only wait and see about MWNY.

Hmmmm. No! If it was another G5 rumor, I would flame myself for posting it. read the rumor again, then comment. And remember. This is a RUMOR site. BTW, thanks to AmbitiousLemon, b8rtm8nn and MacAztec for seeing the value of this rumor. I posted it, because it's not far fetched, and the appleinsider.com folks gave the source much credit.

If this rumor has anything to do with the truth, we'll see a rockin G4 this summer. Maybe I'll retire my DP800...

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Hmm... apparently the Firewire consortium leaked out that Firewire 2 "will be seen at Macworld this July" -- this looks good to all those people worrying about a true new motherboard vs. a "stop-gap" one. Looks like Firewire 2 will make it on the motherboard. Here's a link to a CNET article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-937983.html?tag=cd_mh

So we'll see. But the general gripes in the grapevine HERE was that up till now we weren't truly expecting this were we? So maybe the towers will be more badass in other ways too. Cross thy fingers...

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Hmm... apparently the Firewire consortium leaked out that Firewire 2 "will be seen at Macworld this July" -- this looks good to all those people worrying about a true new motherboard vs. a "stop-gap" one. Looks like Firewire 2 will make it on the motherboard. Here's a link to a CNET article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-937983.html?tag=cd_mh

So we'll see. But the general gripes in the grapevine HERE was that up till now we weren't truly expecting this were we? So maybe the towers will be more badass in other ways too. Cross thy fingers...

God taht would be cool. But lame for me, i just bought my G4 and its must not the same in a PCI slot. Firewire 2 is IEEE 1394B for all those who like formal code names for things. It has a believed max speeed of 100MB/s and 60MB/s sustained transfer speed (reg firewire i think has like 30MB/s sustained). Just for comparison, the second generation USB only goes at 60MB/s (480 Mb/s) maximum. I guess firwire 2 will blow everytihng out of the water just like its older brother, firewire, did before!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

what i woudl really like is every mac bundled with a monkey. its annoying having to type myself and having to change cds when im done burning one. also the swivel lcd on the imac is cool but it would be nice to have a monkey move it for me. with remote desktop i can do a lot while away, but with a monkey i could still switch cds and stuff while away, via remote monkey control. with a monkey at the computer 24/7 it would greatly increase productivity.

It's a couple of days late, i know, but that is the funniest prediction i've ever seen :D :D

On the subject of the original post, that does actually sound plausable. Apple have had enough time now to develop something more radical than a mere standard DDR-266 bus. *Perhaps* M-RAM (as macaztek suggested)?

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
aztek

is MRAM magnetic ram, correct? If so MRAM would be great in any device as it has protected memory. You can shut a device off and still retain the memory. Very cool rumor.
boobers

MWNY

I look forward to being the first through the door when MWNY opens to the public, I can't afford Keynote Passes. I do hope to do a video which I will post with the highlights of MWNY. I hope the 1.4ghz rumors are true! Come one Steve show us the future!
(crosses fingers)firewire 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.