More Native Apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Neo1975, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

After the release of OS2 I was expecting, and hoping most developers would release a native App update.

The lack of developers updating their Apps to run natively is very, very disappointing.

I have loads of free memory on my Watch and would love all my Watch Apps to be native. Waiting for Apps to load is the one thing I don't like about the Watch.

Is it difficult to make the native, or do the developers not like native Apps for some reason ?

I would love to have the option of installing the App natively or on the iPhone. Apple should give us the option. Two versions of each App.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like the money is not there for the developers or they would be turning out apps. Apple needs to create some incentive some how.

3. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

4. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

I am also impatiently awaiting Fantastical.

Watch apps that run natively have to be written specifically for the watch. In OS 1.0.1 all they had to build in were app extensions and all logic still ran on the phone. Rewriting your app for OS2 is essentially building another version of your app, not just extensions (if that makes sense).

Also I'm sure we'll see all the big players releasing native watch apps in due time. Don't forget that right now they are all busy incorporating 3d touch for iPhone and multi-tasking for iPad into all their apps. iPhone and iPad make developers WAY more $$ than apple watch apps so it makes sense that they start there first. Also you HAVE to start there first anyways since you need an iPhone app to even install your watch app.

5. Neo1975 thread starter macrumors 6502

That all makes sense thanks for the reply.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

even the ones that are native are slow as f. should have waited for gen 2 but as usual i am an idiot who just couldnt wait

7. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Newer hardware, when/if ever it happens, won't solve anything if developers don't feel the need to write for the platform.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

Maybe it's at least partly to do with poor optimisation. Just a guess.

9. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I'm probably in the minority of my use of Omnifocus but have found the app to be one of the best native ones out there.