Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beetle_boy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
if or when

I buy a new computer every year so don't want (or have anybody) to pay big bucks for "professional" titanium .. yet I am on the road 6 months year and would buy a larger screened G4 colored iBook in a blink .. the little iBook is too toyish and needs a bigger sibbling ..

csosalanz

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Consumer Line

Thinking back to when the Bondi iMac came out, and Jobs layed out Apple's product line as Professional Desktop, Professional Laptop, Consumer Desktop, Consumer Laptop. And thats it, no in betweens or variations. So I dont think they will get a mixed iBook running G4. An iBook with a bigger screen would be excelent might convince me of buying one. (just with that combo drive was a Super Drive) With the money that Apple spends on making plastic cases, I don't think they would worry about making a larger version of the iBook.
On the issue of color, I dont see the transparent colors like second generation iMacs, i'm seeing a continuation of this crazy pattern printed plastic that will probably lead the new design shock through the computer industry. (however removable faces/covers might be more flexible to users tastes). I see Compaq trying to copy this printed plastic in a couple of years.
On iMac.... I'm hoping, wishing the convert that to LCD. As much as i love its current shape, It's due for a change.

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Absolutely right!

Reducing the product line to one consumer and one professional model of either the Desktop and the Powerbook is what brought back Apple to profitability in the first place. Now, introducing the Cube was not one of Cupertino's best decisions in regard to their revenue. That it's still availabe, in my eyes, is only to cover their initial cost for inventing it. Sales have increased but keep being far from good.

Having considered this, it would be likely for Apple to step backward to one consumer/pro model each. So there won't be any midrange Power-/iBook. That a larger screen and faster iBook will definitely come in some months time, is no big deal. Macs have always evolutioned over time. And anyone who ever bought a Mac once had to suffer from seeing a better and cheaper new model. This is how the computer industry works like. The only way out would be not to consider buying any computer at all.

But the question is how a new iBook would look like. In my eyes, the design will remain unchanged for at least 2 years. It is simply revolutionary, though conservative in a way. And it is far from unlikely that we'll see coloured cases in some time. Why shouldn't Apple introduced snap-on-covers as they once offered with the PB 1400 (the original iBook in my humble opinion). Only this time they won't offer the kind of trash with coloured paper to place under a translucent cover. They surely will go for a nokia-mobile-phone-like solution. Wouldn't it be nice to change the appearance of your iBook every two weeks?

Later,
Greco

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
A comment.

Just a quote which I hope all posters read.

"Those who do not study history, are condemed to repeat it."

As El Greco previously stated, the introduciton of a mid range CUBE wasn't cupertino's best decision. The reason it is still out there is because Apple is covering its costs of production. Will Apple repeat the same mistake by releasing a I-book just under a month after a realease of an I-Book?? I think not. Apple has been beaten sore by the industry due to uncalculated risks, now im sure they believe in "better safe, then sorry".

-Kela

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.