More Odd Leopard bugs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benpatient, Apr 18, 2008.

1. benpatient macrumors 68000

So I keep finding problems with Leopard. Most of them have been covered on this forum at one point or another, but I found a couple that I haven't seen mentioned. One I have attached screenshots of. The other is impossible to convey with a screenshot.

1. Sometimes the "file name" dialog box in a "save as" window goes somewhere else when I start typing. In the attached example, it went over to the bottom corner of the window and mirrored itself. When I typed things in the box, they appeared "correctly" in a mirrored state. I was able to click inside that box and edit, select, copy, or paste into it like normal...Leopard thought it was supposed to be there. When I moved the "save as" window, the box followed it around. Bizzaro.

2. Sometimes a highlighted "OK" type button in a dialog box will shudder and flicker between the blue "highlighted" color and standard gray. It does this at almost the refresh rate of the monitor. It's very distracting and "hollow" feeling. It really breaks the "solid" illusion of OS X.

3. Sometimes when #2 happens, if there is an alternate or secondary selection (a button that you can "press" by pushing spacebar), it will show up as a white box instead of as a button. So you can't tell that anything is even supposed to be there, other than the fact that the stuff around the button is gray. You can still click the button, and it performs whatever action it is supposed to perform, but you never get to see it.

Tiger never had weird visual problems like this...not even when I first installed 10.4.1. Is this related to Core Animation?

I'm getting the same issues on 2 different Mac Pros...one with a 7300 gpu and one with the 2600 gpu...so it isn't a graphics card issue.

Am I alone?

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've never seen these issues, but I have one to add to the list:

In Leopard, Java applications that use Swing for their graphics exhibit odd behavior when the default button for an action is displayed in something other than a dialog box. The button has a broken-up black outline along with its normal pulsing blue appearance. I've not tested the Graphite appearance to see if it does this there too - just Aqua. The button works normally - you can click on it or press Return to activate it, and it does its normal action. It just looks odd.

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Never seen anything like this before.

Font issue, maybe? I don't know, buts its one of the first things that pops into my head.

4. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I can't help but notice in your picture that the save as dialog is a separate window with its own minimize/close buttons in the top left. Is this because it's third party applications you are working in? I guess I only have standard Mac software on here, but my save as dialog always slides out of the title bar of the app like a sheet of paper. I've never had your problem so I wonder if it is more of the third party's (like Adobe in your picture) problem? Just a thought.

My problem: I've posted this once before and gotten no real response, so I was wondering if anybody here has seen this: when I minimize the DVD viewer app nothing appears in the dock -- just a space where it should be. The space is clickable and all, so no lost functionality - just irksome.

Attached Files:

• dvd.jpg
      dvd.jpg
      File size:
      105.6 KB
      Views:
  5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If DVD Player is playing a DVD when you minimize it, that might be a way of protecting the content from screen capture. That said, why Apple wouldn't just use a generic DVD icon in that case seems a little odd.

6. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Grab screen capture won't work with a DVD playing whether minimized or not. The only way I can get grab to work with the app minimized is to not have any content loaded. It's just the app in the picture, though it does the exact same odd behavior when still playing back. I miss the old method of playback continuing (and being visible) under Tiger. With 10.5.1 I noticed that when minimized sound playback continued but the image froze until restored. Then with 10.5.2 this invisible app nonsense started. I just can't imagine that this is intentional. There would have to be a dozen different ways of addressing that issue that wouldn't be as odd ball as this. But thanks for the idea. Does it do this on your system? Has anyone else checked? I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this. :confused:

7. WriterAtTheSea macrumors newbie

WriterAtTheSea

Irksome!

I have had much the same issues, with the posting and with the dialog window. Actually, I am not overly impressed with Leopard, and I also am wondering if anyone has had issues with Firefox after installing Leopard. It has become a constant problem. Firefox will suddenly quit for no apparent reason. Indeed, all of this is irksome!

8. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

The only time I use firefox is when I need to do certain things on my school website (Safari won't load it correctly for some reason) and from time to time I do legal research on it (though lately Westlaw and Lexis have both been working fine with Safari) but I haven't noticed any problems with it. But like I said I probably don't use it enough to experience the things you are describing.

Overall I think Leopard is fine, I just hope they get the kinks out soon. 10.5.2 was a huge improvement; here's hoping 10.5.3 will take care of the rest of the housecleaning.

9. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

If you'll notice, adobe has a separate dialog box view that you can switch to for adobe apps.

I'm using the OS-based "save as" which has the sidebar tray and the spotlight search field. The difference between the drop-down dialog box and the separate window dialog box is (as far as I know) a matter of choice for 3rd party developers...they are both "standard" apple ways of doing it.

problems 2 and 3 happen even when you are installing Leopard from the DVD and you are booting from the disc instead of the hard drive.

I can only say that because Leopard's permissions went haywire and I had to reformat 3 of my 4 drives to get it back to normal, after almost 2 weeks of pulling my teeth out over it. and spotlight doesn't work right anymore. and safari crashes all the time.

very frustrating.

10. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

That is frustrating. I haven't had anything like this happen on my MBP, and it's interesting because the machines listed in your signature are high-end. Like I said the things I've noticed have largely just been minor and glitchy, rather than actually work-impeding.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

When I minimize the DVD player it shows a still of the movie playing while in the Dock.

12. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Oh no! really?? What have I done?! I did a clean install, no haxies or anything... I have dock dr. now but I didn't before and it was doing this already. Any thoughts?

13. WriterAtTheSea macrumors newbie

WriterAtTheSea

Firefox and Leopard Kinks

That is precisely why I use firefox. I am involved with school, and certain writing projects I work on require me to use Firefox because Safari will not load properly, or it doesn't support the specific site I need to access. Naturally, my issue is not new, for it is clear there are some problems with Safari. I have been frustrated now, because prior to installing Leopard, Firefox was the perfect answer, and now it is becoming very annoying. Sigh. I do hope this is resolved soon. I am far from hooked at this juncture.

:(

14. BlackThunder macrumors member

ok how about this... when magnification is on on the dock, and you are viewing a stack in grid mode or fan mode, you can smoothly move the mouse over the dock and follow the magnification to click on a different stack or application..

HOWEVER, when viewing a stack in the newly added (aka finally taken from tiger) LIST mode, the dock does not animate magnifications at all. Thus making it difficult to select another stack or application.

Basically as soon as you click on a LIST view stack the dock losses all it's fluidity.

[​IMG]