More of a techy questions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R-41157, Jun 6, 2008.

1. R-41157 macrumors member

sorry this might be in the wrong section!

Im an advertising student and do alot of design work on photoshop etc. At the minute im using a 2 year old HP Pavillion laptop and find that the colours are not true on the monitor. Print out completely different shades etc!

So, before I go back to uni in the autumn I will be making the move to mac and I was wondering if all the mac screens show true colours on them, or whether this is just the ACD? For example, do the current macbooks show true colours???

any advice would be good! :rolleyes:

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Macbooks do not as they have glossy screens. You'd want to go with an ADC for the best representation of color. Not sure how the matte screens on a MBP compare.

3. R-41157 thread starter macrumors member

so, if for example this illusive update of the MBP comes out before september would you recommend I get one of them and an ACD as apposed to a 24" imac??? I dont want to get into a long winded discussion about which ones to get though, ive bored the forums enough times with that! haha :D

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I would be wary of the notebook LCDs... I have a MacBook Pro and it definitely does not show true to life colours even after professional calibration.

The Desktops are very high quality LCDs I have had a couple of imacs and now 2 ACDs and they are much better especially after calibration.

I would definitely invest in a calibation tool/colorimeter like the i1 or the spyder if you are in the print/graphics game.

5. R-41157 thread starter macrumors member

I have used a calibration tool in a previous editing job I had, but I wouldnt know where to find them or how much they are. The print work is only for my degree but it would be quite good to have true colours to get the best results

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No computer screen shows "true colors". All displays need to be calibrated. Only specialized (expensive) displays can show full gaumet.

If you want your prints to match your display, you also need to calibrate your printer for EACH type of paper and each type of ink.

No laptop have full color range even after calibration, but Macs work great in the field.