More on the Iphone 3G Cable Mistery

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GRuizMD, Nov 29, 2008.

1. GRuizMD macrumors regular

So this is it:

Have iPhone 3G loaded with videos. Have also a Sony Portable DVD Player Check it out

Want to Connect them and output video from the iPhone to the Sony.

The Sony DVD has no Composite or Component input, it has regular A-V input, what are my options?

1. Apples Proprietary Composite cables + (Fill in the blank here)

Thanks!

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

3. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I have the same question. I think usually composite is referred to as "regular AV input".

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

As do I. Composite - a.k.a. "RCA" Yellow (video) Red (right audio) White (left audio)

So if you want RCA style - they exist - it's the "Composite" (got it for my iphone 1st gen)

Do you mean Coax (a.k.a. "cable") ?

5. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I was not clear...

The sony DVD Player has Video in port, it looks just like the one you plug your headphones. Dont know how to call it, for sure is no Composite or Component.

Wait I found a Pic, is the yellow one... I need to hook up my iPhone to this port

[​IMG]

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have a DVD player with the same connection. It's an 1/8" jack. Mine came with the adapter plug for it, so if yours did not, you may need to take it into someplace like RadioShack, and show it to them, and explain what you want to do. I've used mine to hook up an XBOX to it on a tour bus before, but I can't verify that the Apple AV cables will work. There's another thread about this, and the only cables he found that worked with his cars in dash screen was the Scosche cables.

7. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. will do. But if I buy the Apple's component or composite cable and put the adapter it should work.... Shouldn't it?:confused:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A component adapter will specifically NOT work unless you have component inputs, which you probably do not, on that DVD player. If you did, you'd have a set of three plugs, typically labeled red, blue, and green. But they are rare on things like that. They're typically found on DVRs, DVD players, modern game systems, and HDTVs.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Why are people so lazy that they can't even read the links that they post themselves

Read the specification on the DVP-FX820

In other words it should have come with the cable you already need to connect a composite video source

But you still need to buy the $50 apple composite cables

[​IMG]

or try the scosche av cables for $40

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/274/productID/1622

they worked perfectly , but don't charge the iphone

10. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Oh Boy...

Why are people so lazy that they can't even take a look at the Pictures that the OP posted?

they call AV Cable to a cable that has:

A MALE 1/8" jack that ends up in a MALE Composite cable (x3) that is intended to connect the OUTPUT of the DVD Player to a FEMALE conector in the TV.

If I buy the Apple's Composite iPod Cable I will end up with another set of MALE Composite connections...

I also wrote:

Dont call people lazy without knowing their background a little bit... Did you see the MD at the end of my name, I am a real doctor, we are not lazy people.

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You will need the Apple or Scosche composite cables. The cable that came with the DVD player should be 1/8" to 3 MALE composite, 2 audio and 1 video. You need to pick up couplers. You need 3 of them.

[​IMG]

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102665&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=100

That will allow you to connect the supplied A/V cable to the Apple or Scosche, select the Input setting on the player, and it should work. Now, people have said they have better luck with the Scosche on automobile portable screens, so unless someone else chimes in and says otherwise, it's a gamble. You can always try the Apple first, and if they don't work, return them for a refund and then try the Scosche.

Hope this helps!

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Fair enough, but I labeled you as lazy for not reading the link you provided for the information. None the less it seems like you understand the cable that connects to your Sony DVD player ( and are in possesion of it)

anyways....

Here's what you are going to need *(my laptop doesn't have photoshop :D)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

*walks out from his night call at the hospital to Radio $hack with a clear idea on what to look for*

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't think that's what you want! (unless your DVD player has all 3 signals going into the same 1/8" jack)

In all likelihood, the video has it's own mono 1/8" jack, and the audio is carried in via a separate stereo 1/8" jack.

Your picture I don't think will play out well. Hopefully Radioshack will have caught this and corrected you.

Uh oh. Radioshack - You've got questions, we've got blank stares.

15. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Umm I made that pic in MS paint, not RadioShack.

I'm pretty sure that's the AV cable he has, he stated

"A MALE 1/8" jack that ends up in a MALE Composite cable (x3)

then you just need to be sure the switch is on input