More Options for 128 GB Mac Pro RAM Upgrades Now Available

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ZOZO139434371 macrumors newbie

You had your RAM in an external enclosure?

2. daveedjackson macrumors member

Be interested to see if anyone did the 128gb RAM upgrade on a nMP 2013? and if/what any speed improvements there were. I'm pondering the upgrade as a stop gap until the 2019 Mac Pro is announced/released. As it could (knowing Apple) be at the end of the year and I could really use a boost to my speed. Already at 64gb.

My concern is going from 1866mhz to 1066mhz in RAM speed.

And before I hear any of the "Who would need 128gb RAM" I'm a motion designer, doing lots of big AE and photoshop work.

Any advice/comments appreciated :)

3. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

As far as I understood this, speed itself will actually decrease - as you noted, RAM-speed will be almost halved.

I believe, whether this noticeable is highly subjective to your workload.

4. daveedjackson macrumors member

The problem I have in making the decision, is that reviews on many sites, almost contradict each other. Some saying the speed really doesn't make much difference. Whilst yes, the speed is halved - what does that exactly translate to when I'm doubling the actual RAM. Is it better to have 128 at a slower speed, than half at slightly faster. I just can't find anything that's a real world indication.

My system is the 12 core. So again getting anything even close to a meaningful benchmark is difficult. Sure the run the generic RAM test - but that doesn't mean anything.

Agh