More potential evidence that Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be TRUE

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by olternaut, Jan 12, 2009.

1. olternaut macrumors 6502a

After twelve thousand views I think this particular rumor needs its own thread.

Apparently, Andy Ihnatko wasn't the only Apple columnist who was given inside information by an apple employee about a "huge" product announcement by Apple. It would seem that several Apple columnists were told this information in an effort to drum up interest in a seperate Apple event apart from Macworld for major product announcements.

Article from appletell:

link to article at appletell: http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/appletell-secrets-the-mac-mini-and-something-huge/

2. rrr macrumors member

Isn't it possible that Andy Ihnatko was the source for this Appletell article?

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I sure as hell hope this is true.
    Hmmm... I'm in the mood for another poll.

4. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

The big surprise is probably an "iPad", that or iTouch gloves. :D

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How to spin something from nothing, so that crappy announcements are quickly forgotten. Leak a big nothing to favoured journalists who bend over backwards so that they keep fluffing their sources.

PR 101.

6. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

No because the article writer got information at the macworld show from an apple employee just as Andy got his info from another apple employee at the same show.
    Andy thought he was in on a major scoop but it would seem Apple was purposely leaking information to any of the reputable tech columnists at the show.

I think Apple has saved the good stuff for their own event so they could thumb their nose at IDG and Macworld.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

April even anyone?

8. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well they got less than two weeks to prove themselves which by the way will be around the time of the 25th anniversary of the Mac. This can't be a coincidence.
    I think Steve Jobs and Apple planned all along to screw macworld big time.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's getting to the stage where many longtime Mac users don't care anymore.

I'm sick of the substanceless hype, sick of the lack of decent hardware releases, sick of the pointless crippling, sick of the precious attitude that Apple have. Other manufacturers quietly release computer updates far more frequently without the sobbing of the blogosphere, Apple haven't done anything really interesting with computer hardware or other peripherals for a long time so I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Like many people here, I buy a new Mac when I need one, I use it for my work. When I buy one, I don't post unboxing pics or get hyper because an exterior finish is 0.1 of a millimeter out of whack. It's a computer, a tool to get things done... not a lifestyle fetish statement to compensate for people's inadequacies.

Like with the Cinema Displays, what the hell is going on with those? Either get serious and competitive with other manufacturers or stop pretending that you're still in the business.

10. rrr macrumors member

"Our source, who says he heard this directly from Apple reps at this week’s Expo, wouldn’t tell him more than that, but he finds this particularly peculiar. He has had Apple reps slip information to him before, but not this freely. This info, he says, was offered straight off without any questioning, as if it isn’t a secret, but is."

The source is clearly not the writer of the article, and nothing in this quote rules out the fact that the source may have been Andy himself.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Eh, I'd say until the February.
    The article said a new event / product release could, not will, happen in two weeks.

12. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is why I think Apple's war with IDG is going to bite them in the butt. They've cried wolf too many times with pointless non-events and infrequent updates to their products.

13. MacTraveller macrumors regular

It's a Rumortoid. It's like a rumor. But not.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Nothings going to happen until Steve gets back into shape. and that's not until. As he put it. "Spring".

Like I've said before. As long as Steve Jobs runs the show. Nothing new will come out unless he is the person showing it.

Trust me on that.
    With that said. March.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which is just utterly useless. Let's all put our buying decisions on hold until he's fit for the spotlight, shall we? No wonder Apple can't even begin to be taken seriously in enterprise. If this is the thinking, I'm starting to wait for the day he leaves.

Anyway, to be honest, over time, I've learned to take your predictions with a handful of salt.

16. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

So I'm guessing this announcement would hypothetically come during the week of the Quarterly Earnings Call?

Coincidence? Perhaps...

Will I be surprised, if after the QEC is announced, when no product materializes? No...

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Throw that salt over your right shoulder and have a shot!! ..

It's all guesswork anyway so I might as well chime in.:p

[edit] Wait. Take the shot first then throw the glass with the salt over your shoulder :)
    [/edit]

18. harnster79 macrumors newbie

apples huge anouncement coming soon?

supposedly a huge major announcement is on its way.

i think it will be that snow leopard will be released but it will also be available on PC!!!?

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Keep dreaming.

And by that I mean, stop dreaming; it will NEVER happen.

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

hmm.. big news..The single USB port on macbook Air that is actually useful?

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple will NOT update the Mini. Why put all the effort to squeezing new chips into that little form factor, and have a smaller profit per unit sold, when you update the iMac with a bigger form factor and have a bigger profit per unit sold. It's the same idea as the EoL'ed G4 Cube. In this economy, people want simplicity. They just want a complete system that works without tinkering.

22. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Amen. Not much more to add.

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I figured that out nearly two years ago, to be honest.

Anyway, I'm fairly optimistic here (but I probably shouldn't be :D), and the slip up on the Australian Apple Store points towards the AppleTell rumor, at least with the announcement date.

I think the "big" thing, if true, can be anything from an iMac ("big" in size compared to the Mac mini) to the announcement of the rumored mini-tablet.

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I hear Apple might finally be onto those ACDs...