More powerful video card needed for MDD FW800 G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by csundt, Aug 10, 2014.

1. csundt macrumors newbie

This will be my first post here, I thought I would try to put this to people who will most likely know the answer.

Some time ago, I was able to score a Mirrored-Drive-Door FW800 G4 with a lovely ADC Cinema display on Craigslist for a great price. I wanted the machine to both use as an extra computer in another room, and to run an older scanner or mine that is pretty much PowerPC only.

I am a photographer who sometimes makes video works, and now have the need to do more editing and have been able to get a copy of Final Cut Studio 2 on eBay, which I have since learned would evidently prefer a higher-end video card than I have.

My G4 came with the ATI Radeon 9000 that has 64mb of ram. I would like a card that is a bit faster, which I assume will now maybe not be going for so much. Final Cut displays a message at launch requesting a card that is OpenGL compatible, and while I assume it will run, I would still like to see what cards are available.

I am a bit unclear as to which cards available provide power for the ADC connector, as I would still like to use my display and I don't really want to seek out one of the adaptors for it to work through DVI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The most powerful G4 ADC card is the very rare and pricy ATI 9700. After that is the non-CoreImage enabled, yet still powerful, Nvidia GeForce4 Ti. Those are your two best choices for a G4 ADC video card. There's one more that could be used, but it requires some modification. Get a G5's ADC ATI 9600 XT card and modify it to work in your G4. Their cheap and still powerful. This link details how to modify a G5's 9600 video card: http://pistolerapost2.com/viewing/96002g4.html