More praise for Other World Computing!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RumMunkey, Oct 30, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

So I am waiting on delivery of me new iMac. I decided to go big and get the 750 GB internal HDD.

Was looking forward to Leopard for many features, including Time Machine. But ah... how to back up a 750 GB internal drive?!?! Aren't 1 TB externals crazy-expensive?

Turns out, no... they're not. Yesterday I ordered this bad boy from OWC (1 TB external FW 400/800 / USB, for those not wanting to click).

It's normally $479.99. I got it on sale yesterday for $345.00. That's $135 off.

Again, it got to Canada in under 24 hours and this thing is quality! Not only does it look like a Mac Pro, but it feels like it weighs as much as one too!

This thing is a rock-solid, aluminum cinderblock of storage. I am so impressed --again.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds very nice. And a very reasonable price for a single drive 1TB unit! I don't think you could easily build one for that price. You could do about $400, but not $350. Enjoy!

3. SRSound macrumors 6502

OWC drives are not only pretty but extremely reliable and fast - my recording studio and all affiliate studios use them as session transport drives

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I use 2 of the OWC Mercury Elite FW800 drives in my home studio - they kick ass :D

5. lesbarn macrumors member

Purchased an OWC Mercury™ Elite-AL Pro

After a lot of research, I decided to purchase an OWC Mercury™ Elite-AL Pro 500GB Firewire 400/usb 2.0. I only need the drive for backup so I decided firewire 400 would be good enough. I have not received the drive yet,( it will be here tomorrow fast shipping!!) but look forward to using it with my dual core G5 and eventually Time Machine and Leopard. I am going to put off the upgrade for at least a month. The G5 is my main computer and I really can't afford too many problems.

Les

6. ranger822 macrumors newbie

For LesBarnes

I read a post some time ago where you posted a PDF on an airport+bluetooth installation - the PDF file is inactive - I want to install one now (yeah a little late) and couldn't get your PDF. Can you please make it available again or send me a link/file?

Regards,
    Anthony Thomas

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Not bad, however it is really only about $10 off, since you can get that case/cables from them for $119.95 and then order the 2 Seagate 500GB drives in it from Newegg for $119.95 each. However, I personally have been considering this exact case for the past few days. Though I plan to put either one 500 or one 750 in initially for Time Machine to backup the 750 in my 2.8 iMac and then add a 2nd drive later for video. I don't want a RAID but rather want a JBOD set up so that TM can use one and I can use the other.

I realize that I can partion on the fly with Leopard (right?) and set what I need for TM and for Video and mount each independantly. But I'm not sure I want to go that route.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

x2 just got a 250gb with fw400 and love it!

9. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

actually the one he linked to is a enclosure with one 1TB drive, its a DeskStar, but hey, its a drive.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The one he linked to comes up at the non sale price, but if you search their specials, you will see the dual/raid I spoke about.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How did you learn of that sale?