More pre-installed apps on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reck, Sep 16, 2014.

1. reck macrumors newbie

I've been reading the 9to5mac article where it says the new iPhones are going to come with even more apps preinstalled. iWorks, iLife etc.

It's bad enough for people who don't use these apps to have to hide them away in some folder never to be used again but i'm more concerned about the space all these apps are using up on the phone.

How much space are we losing to iMovie, Keynote, garageband and all the rest of the apps?

Does anyone know if these can be deleted?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It is highly likely that you can delete them.

It's funny that Apple is giving customers a bunch of $5-10 apps and people are finding a reason to complain. :rolleyes:

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You can understand them pre-loading first-party apps. Plus they always used to take a long time to download & install so they are doing a lot of people a favour.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

Your post is slightly out of context, in that they are only going to come pre installed on the 64 gig & 128 gig iPhones, not the 16, plus it's only a couple/few GBs.

Also, is it really that much of a problem that Apple are giving free (high quality) apps away?

Don't like/want them? It will take you all of about 10 seconds to delete them.

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You probably can't delete them, just like you can't delete iBooks in iOS 8.

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Yeah - I can't believe I read an article yesterday that people were bitching about receiving U2's most recent album for free.

My God some people are just ungrateful, unhappy *******s. It's really depressing.

"Angry iTunes Users"???? REALLY????

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/400...-removal-tool-to-relief-of-angry-iTunes-users

----------

By the way - the iphone 6 and 6+ have room for more app icons on the home screen. So you can afford it. :rolleyes:

7. reck thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind them pre-installed as long as I can delete them. This way everyone is happy. Those who don't want\use them can simply delete it.

I'd rather use those few gb for stuff I actually use\my data.

8. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I don't want apps on my devices that I can't delete. It does not matter that others might want them or use them if I don't. Just make them removable.

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Considering these aren't default apps and can only be downloaded from the App Store, yes, they'll be deletable.

Also, it's around £10 worth of free apps, stop complaining.

10. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

there is a difference between being offered free stuff and having stuff imposed on you with no way of deleting, initially...

11. horsebattery macrumors 6502

The problem is that under certain configurations (e.g. Automatic Downloads is turned on), the album appears automatically in a user's library. That is effectively an opt-out (vs. opt-in) policy, the latter of which is the generally preferred one especially when subjectivity to the content can be high.

Apple can also pre-fill your new iPhones with free holiday music. Why would you complain?

12. conklaven macrumors regular

This is actually pretty sweet!

My question is if I am getting an Iphone 6 now and i get these apps for free. Can i then also download them to my ipad mini for free as well?

13. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like it is only coming on the bigger models, makes sense anyways. I have no idea how people can get away with only a 16GB iPhone.

14. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

iBooks is the only app that is pre-installed. iWorks and iLife are still payed apps in the App store according to iOS 8 (beta 1- GM)

15. malevolant macrumors 6502

Theres a difference between pre-installed and default apps. Apps like iBooks are default. They cannot be deleted (though apparently they can be hidden) whereas pre-installed apps like iWork can be deleted.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I absolutely cannot stand U2, but I appreciate what Apple is doing with giving out content. I hope the trend continues.

----------

Usually once they are downloaded with your Apple ID they can be re-downloaded to other devices. I bought Pages on my iPad a year or so ago and was able to get it on my phone as well.

17. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I totally get not liking the album that is GIVEN to you for free. (this post is not directed at you, but to those that complained). But to bitch about it? Really?

Delete it yourself, you angry ungrateful douche.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

No, its a valid complaint. Many Apple apps can't be deleted so, even if its unlikely, if they are locked down then thats a concern. Especially considering how bloated some of these are. (iMovie used to be a small app but then they added that ability to make "movie trailers" that nobody uses and it now it takes 600MB just for the app.)

----------

If you use iTunes match then it automatically shows up as a streamed album. And also, its existence in your library would likely skew your itunes genius results. So the option of saying "no" to a free item actually would be better than having it forced on you.

Apple addressed and resolved it so good on them.