Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
While browsing on the site I noticed that my DoNotTrackMe extension was showing that there where 8 companies tracking me on the macrumors homepage -- VGLink, NetShelter, Exponential, Google AdSense, Quantcast, Google Analytics, Facebook Connect, and Twitter Badge. Could we have an option to turn off these on the site or something?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Uhhhh....

Didn't you answer your own question even before you asked it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
While browsing on the site I noticed that my DoNotTrackMe extension was showing that there where 8 companies tracking me on the macrumors homepage -- VGLink, NetShelter, Exponential, Google AdSense, Quantcast, Google Analytics, Facebook Connect, and Twitter Badge. Could we have an option to turn off these on the site or something?

I wouldn't count on that as happening. Like already mentioned, those services help the owners pay the bills and keep the site running.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
As has been said, some of these services are for social sharing (facebook for instance) and others are for ad serving (google). They won't be going away.

Best choices are:

A) Edit your /etc/hosts file to block the requesting hosts (time consuming)

B) Use an extension to block the hosts (there's a bunch of them, like adblock)

C) Accept that fact that even if you completely blocked the hosts, they will still be able to track you. (legally, I should add).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You either deal with the fact that companies are targeting you on the internet or you don't use the internet. I try to turn off tracking but that doesn't mean it will always stop it. Just something you have to live with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.