More Privacy

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacDude21, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MacDude21 macrumors regular

While browsing on the site I noticed that my DoNotTrackMe extension was showing that there where 8 companies tracking me on the macrumors homepage -- VGLink, NetShelter, Exponential, Google AdSense, Quantcast, Google Analytics, Facebook Connect, and Twitter Badge. Could we have an option to turn off these on the site or something?

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Uhhhh....

Didn't you answer your own question even before you asked it?

3. MacDude21 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really?
    DoNotTrackMe can't completely block them

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I doubt this site is going to disable those services as that is part of the ads they serve up to pay the bills.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wouldn't count on that as happening. Like already mentioned, those services help the owners pay the bills and keep the site running.

6. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

As has been said, some of these services are for social sharing (facebook for instance) and others are for ad serving (google). They won't be going away.

Best choices are:

A) Edit your /etc/hosts file to block the requesting hosts (time consuming)

B) Use an extension to block the hosts (there's a bunch of them, like adblock)

C) Accept that fact that even if you completely blocked the hosts, they will still be able to track you. (legally, I should add).

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You either deal with the fact that companies are targeting you on the internet or you don't use the internet. I try to turn off tracking but that doesn't mean it will always stop it. Just something you have to live with.