More problems with securityd -- pegging CPU, not using much memory

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skoorbevad, Sep 18, 2007.

1. skoorbevad macrumors member

Well, I'm at my wits end with this one. I'm going to probably have to do a very painful system restore tomorrow night if I can't come up with a solution.

The infamous 'securityd' process is at it again, this time it's pegging my CPU. It differs from other common problems in that it's hardly using any RAM at all (approx. 290KB)! Regardless, one of my CPU cores is maxed out dealing with it, and if I use the System Monitor to display information, the amount of Unix System Calls is rising at a laughable rate (about a million per second)

I've tried the common solution to the similar issue of deleting the /var/db/CodeEquivalenceDatabase, however in this case it does nothing. Upon reboot, 'securityd' immediately begins chewing up as much CPU time as it can get its hands on. The only way to stop it from doing so is to forcibly kill the process, which of course breaks functionality with anything that requires authentication.

This is becoming VERY annoying. Does anybody have a solution other than having to perform a System Restore? That's about the only option I have left, and I'm not very happy about it.

2. cleanest macrumors newbie

how to check cpu usage?

Hello,

I wonder if anyone is still watching this thread? :)

I've been looking for a long time about how to discover things like this: I want to know how much CPU each running process is using. I can find plenty of tools which give a list of running procs but not how much process they are using. I want something like what unix top gives. I couldn't figure out how to find this though. I do have a jailbroken phone with mobile terminal and ssh running but I still can't figure out how to install top or anything giving that functionality.

Thanks!

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

When I first read the thread, it looked like you were thinking about what's using the CPU in OSx. This is handled perfectly well by the OSx Activity Monitor.

Reading again about your talk about iPhone, it looks like you want to do this on an iPhone. The developer tools might have some way to do it on an iPhone, but I don't know of any.

BTW the thread is almost four years old; why not start a new thread?