More proof Apple tablet to use SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kockgunner, Aug 30, 2009.

1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

In Leopard, when you hold your mouse on a stack, a menu pops up like a control click. Now when you hold your mouse on a stack, the actual stack pops up. BUT when you proceed to move you mouse on an item in the stack (while still holding the mouse), a grey selection box appears around the item. Once you let go of the mouse button, the item selected by the grey box will open.

Now, imagine your finger doing this action on a tablet – holding and dragging to the item you want in the stack. This saves time by not having you lift your finger off the screen to select the item you want. This motion is similar to the one on the iPhone keyboard, where you can tap and hold on the caps lock key, and then drag your finger to the letter you want which gives you the capitalized letter.

Pretend there is a mouse cursor on the following pictures. OS X removes the cursor from screenshots.

Clicking on a stack and selecting:

[​IMG]

Clicking and holding on a stack and selecting:

[​IMG]

2. helix21 macrumors regular

I concur, that might also explain the MASSIVE icons! In the stacks, icons are bigger, in the desktop, the icons are bigger. Finder, you can make the icons bigger.

3. Aron Peterson macrumors member

Aron Peterson

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Whenever I try the command in terminal to see the gradient behind my stack items it doesn't work; how did you get yours to work?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Very interesting OP. Makes sense to me.

Are those custom stacks icons?

6. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Sorry but imagine your mouse click on the stack and let go like in leopard and then moving mouse over icon and clicking. Imagine your finger doing the same thing?

OK now I'm joking with the above statement but shows that while it is possible the change is to accommodate a tablet/touch screen etc. Its could have easily not changed and would still be doable on a tablet, no?

7. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

The grey selecting box, yes, but there was no click and drag to select motion.

Yeah, I can try to find the link for you.

You're right. But the same could be said for the new playable icons in Finder. We already have Quicklook, but in terms of tablet UI usability, tapping on a thumbnail no preview a movie is easier than bringing up an onscreen keyboard and pressing space, or pressing onthe quicklook icon.

The slider to resize icons in Finder didn't have to be there. There was always an option when you control click in Finder. But isn't that slider so much more finger friendly?

8. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq