More proof of video calling on the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Speedracer04, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

So after looking through my AT&T account about the new data plans, I came across this...A way to sort by your video calls! I dont know if this has always been there or not, but maybe it means more proof of video calling, as if we really needed more :p

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmmm...

What's most interesting about that is that it's seperate from the 'data' measurements.

Why would that be?

Will it be a 4th thing you account for? Voice minutes, data, texts, and video calls?

If so, will they charge extra? Will it be by minutes or by data amount? (I'd assume minutes.) Will they have different plans? $10 for 200 minutes, $20 for 300 minutes? Or something like that?

I have no clue, but I had never thought of it this way until you found that picture.

Honestly, this is a good thing. Just like with texting, I don't want to pay for something I don't use...with all these new capped data plans it'll be nice to know that video-chatting won't be eating into your data limits but will be its own thing.

(Actually, what I'd like to see is make it so video calls use your voice minutes twice as fast. So a 10 minute video call uses 20 minutes of voice call time but NOT your data. That'd be fantstic.)

3. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I doubt it, text and MMS are separate in that pull-down but only use up texting counts. I willing to bet that video calls and min will be the same. Or they can do a double-wammy and charge for min and data. I doubt it will be a separate category. Although if it was, I would definitely try it out.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

If I have to pay for video calling I'll be pissed.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, mostly wishful thinking on my part, I know.

They'll probably just make it part of your now-limited data plan.

This is why I'm not downgrading yet. It LOOKS tempting but I'll hold out for a few weeks to see how everything pans out.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Would you prefer to find out that using it lightly uses up 1.2 GB of your* new 2 GB capped plan?

* "Your" meaning a generic AT&T customer. Not you personally.

7. snsr macrumors member

Do MMS messages currently count towards your data cap? (I don't have AT&T presently..) If they do, then video will likely as well. Though if they were dealing fairly it would only count towards minutes, just as voice "data" doesn't count towards your data cap.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

MMS counts as a text message, not data.

EDIT: Rather, I should say: MMS counts as a text message. I'm ASSUMING it doesn't use data, but don't really know.

9. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Me too, I only use like 1 GB per month, but it would only be a 5 dollar savings. So I am going to wait and see. I think 60 bucks a year is a small savings. All you gotta do is go over a few times and it would eat up all that savings.

10. Speedracer04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Thanks what Im thinking...but who knows...the new data plans could be spinning off the fact that people will be doing video calls and eating up much more data. Now at least AT&T will be making money on all that extra data we will be using.