More Push == Less Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stangs55, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

So as I installed the ebay app the other day, it prompted me if I wanted to enable push notifications. This got me thinking...
    We all know that enabling push will decrease your battery life...but is it an all or nothing deal? Will enabling push on several apps (even if they don't notify you on most days...like the ebay app when you have nothing bid on, selling, or watching) cause you battery life to be lower than if you enable push on just one app?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

idk man but I have push set as frequently as possible with everything. It's nice to see I have new emails as fast as possible. All I know is that with push my battery has gone down allot.

3. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Yea, I've seen that too.
    But these days, the only thing I can afford to have push available on is my exchange account...and even with that, I have to recharge my 3GS at lunch to make it through the day.
    So I'm now just wondering...do apps that are virtually silent and almost never notify you through push eat up more battery by just being enabled?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Push shouldn't use up that much battery when it's not receiving anything. Push is a little service/program that constantly runs in the background talking to Apple's Push Servers. That service is a single instance that will take every App's push messages.

Technically speaking, push should only be using extra battery life when it's receiving a message from the servers.

Your push isn't set to any time frame (because the server pushes any new items asap, regardless of time). You are referring to the 'fetch' time which is below the push on/off slider in the mail pane.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Fetch uses battery life not push. Fetch manually gets data at pre set times say every fifteen minutes. Push sits there like your SMS service and is triggered by an incoming package so to speak. Obviously your seeing a decrease due to extra phone usage. Hence why most iPhone users recommend imap over pop email accounts.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats not the case for email. Activesync (exchange push email) has to maintain a connection at all times. So you will get worse battery life if you have pushemail setup.

I can't comment if apples notifications is real push or not.

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

...and when you are receiving more messages from the server you are transferring more data more often, and checking your phone more due to new notifications.

8. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Isn't this the whole point about Apple push notifications? The servers push data to Apple who then transmit the notification to the phone in an SMS-like way. I don't know what happens then - does the email program download the email in the background? Either way, enabling push mail hasn't taken down my battery life that much.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah thats the idea of apple's push. Email doesn't use apples system though. It uses activesync which doesn't work like normal push.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've tested push email/messages extensively on my iPhone months ago to get the best battery life. Anytime you have email or apps on for open notification you're going to lower your battery life by a large margin. I turn off all notification and have email at 1 hour push, this gives me great battery life. I can go through a full day with moderate use and be at 30% by midnight.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, you can also ask "Running == Getting tired?", pff.

So the answer on your question is YES.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

PUSH EMAIL - Maintains a constant connection to Exchange Server and decreases battery life 25-45% faster depending on number of email accounts.

PUSH NOTIFICATIONS - Polls the Apple server for tiny bytes at all times and causes the battery to decrease 20% faster. It does not matter how many Apps are polling the server as the package is sent with the same frequency it would just be 2-8 bytes depending on number of Apps.

It is not unusual to diminish battery 50% faster with both forms of PUSH activated.