More Quad PowerMac G5 Benchmarks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the Quad PowerMac G5's start to arrive, more benchmarks are emerging.

Barefeats posts a collection of benchmarks from After Effects, Cinebench G5, Photoshop CS2, Xbench, and UT2004 comparing the Dual Dual-Core ("Quad") G5 2.5GHz PowerMac to the previous Dual 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac.

Meanwhile, Macsonly also provides the same comparison with some similar benchmarks but also some "Real World" tests.

ddub

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2005
Looks good...

These benchmarks show us a lot more than those Xbench results from a couple days ago. The new Quad looks like it will live up to the hype!

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
This thing seems pretty fast. It will be interesting to see what the intel powermacs will bring and possibly later revs of there duel core machines.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Most of the graphics bench's are worthless b/c the 2.5 Dual has the 6800/256 upgrade. A card which, needless to say, trounces the 6600. At least the floating point ops are showing up at roughly 2x speed.

dberg

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
not that it matters really b/c both systems had 3 sticks of 512, but when you dont pair the memory on the G5, doesnt this disable the memory interleaving capability of the G5 and severely slow down the machine ?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
EricNau said:
Looks like it's pretty fast...I wish I had one.
As I sit here waiting for my machine to finish rendering an image, I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm waiting for the 7800GT, though - so I probably won't have one until January....

Bleh,

D

ACW

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2005
Results

At least these new results look real. Apple deny ever shipping any Quds in the UK so I think that guy in wales was a fake.

ACW

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2005
dberg said:
not that it matters really b/c both systems had 3 sticks of 512, but when you dont pair the memory on the G5, doesnt this disable the memory interleaving capability of the G5 and severely slow down the machine ?
The G5's come with 2 X 256MB chips so this machine was still paired.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
yeah, its fast, but I wish the price were lower (or at least stick more RAM, HD, or something for the same).

Question, would a machine that had 3 cores be like (that is 1 dual core, and one single)? Is that even possible?

lightsout

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2005
BRLawyer said:
The Quad just trounces any PC out there...period.
If you gave me the choice between a dual dual-core Opteron system, I'd take that over a dual dual-core G5 system. The Athlon64/Opteron are easily the best low-end (not POWER5/Itanium) processor available.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Mr. Anderson said:
As I sit here waiting for my machine to finish rendering an image, I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm waiting for the 7800GT, though - so I probably won't have one until January....

Bleh,

D

Yeah, I am in the same situation. but mine is supposedly coming at Xmass.
I am glad I ordered the Quad. It seems very fast and will be a great computer to go thought the Intel transition.
I hope Apple will give us a copy of Ilife '06 because of the huge wait we are experiencing.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
lightsout said:
If you gave me the choice between a dual dual-core Opteron system, I'd take that over a dual dual-core G5 system. The Athlon64/Opteron are easily the best low-end (not POWER5/Itanium) processor available.
Athlon X2 (that's what I think you meant, rather than Athlon64) maybe, but are you sure about the Opteron? I can't find any dual dual-core Opteron system @ 2GHz or more for less than $7000.

mac n cheese

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
512MB memory standard?!?

Am I the only one that is totally baffled and confused that the extreme high end Quad 2.5 ships with 512MB RAM? Just seems silly that it doesn't ship with at LEAST 2 512 sticks.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gugy said:
I hope Apple will give us a copy of Ilife '06 because of the huge wait we are experiencing.
I wouldn't hold your breath....

I'm going to pick one up when they're actually shipping, I haven't ordered mine yet....

D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mr. Anderson said:
I wouldn't hold your breath....

I'm going to pick one up when they're actually shipping, I haven't ordered mine yet....

D
Sell off your son and get me one too, while you're at it. :p :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Iam surprised that a single AMD 3500 running at 2.2 ghz can still whoop those G5 Powermacs in gaming, I realize that power is for Work but when it comes to the consumer/gamer its like having a Turbo V8 without a transmission. My UT2K4 scores kills those powermacs as does this athlon on every game i have looked at. What good is all that power if it cant be used? No wonder they are going to Intel. The Athlon's 64 are still the chip to beat as far as the Consumer go's. For the movie guy/photoguy these machines may offer a lot but for the Consumer they offer very little in my view.