More Questions about DiRT v Forza 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by steamboat26, Jul 16, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I just got done playing the demo, and it freaked me out. Granted, I thought the game looked a little dated, lighting effects were great, but textures were weak. Has anybody played the actual version of this game? What did you think of it?

I really wanna get a new game, and it is essentially narrowed down to F.E.A.R or DiRT. (Two completely different styles of games, I know). I already have Forza 2, but the videos for DiRT make it look like the details and graphics are better. Any suggestions on which one to get?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

EB Games has a 7 day return policy here in .au land, I returned my copy within 3 days. This is 1 of the lamest games I've played on the 360. I found it boring and repetitive (even more so than other FPSs).

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

F.E.A.R is a 15 minute demo expanded to 8 hour gameplay.

Everything you see in the demo is basically just replayed out over and over again in various bland office interiors.

As for scary ? I never found the game 1 bit scary at all, and tbh I think Condemned by the same development team at Monolith is a far better game in all areas (graphics, atmosphere, story, gameplay).

Oh and the ending is so utterly cliché it's embarrasing.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The game sucks on the consoles....not scary at all to me. The demo is the best part of the game.

Bless

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I found it fairly weak. As has been said above. But DiRT. It's the best looking game on the 360, by a country mile, great game play as well. I love it.

As long as you don't buy Vampire Rain tho, you'll be fine. That game is gash!

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Like everyone else has said, it's weak, weak, weak. Thankfully I'd only hired it - so if you want to play it I'd advise that route only...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness it's not as weak as the PS3 version, but that's like comparing two turds :D

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

It's ok. I think some harsh feelings are due to the price and gameplay length. If you can get it cheap and used it's fine for a quick play through. It's not R6vegas...but it can pass some hours. I prefer it to Red Steel by a long shot.

Paul

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Agrees. I picked this up for my PC for £5.99 at a clearout. If I paid a penny more I'd be angry but it's not a terrible romp. Best played on your own in the dark, of course.

10. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I actually enjoyed the PC version, especially the scary bits when everything goes all slow and stuff, sadly though there was not definitive hard part for me like in some games that I've played (I'm still stuck @ the dam part in R6 :().

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'd rent it; that's what I've done (once so far)...I think it's sorta gimmicky. :eek:

The bullet time power up is nice, and there's an ok selection of weapons. The story...eh, I want to see what happens, basically; that's the only reason I'll re-rent the game (or pick it up used cheap, if it's real cheap). But yes, I agree with the ongoing sentiment that the demo is the epitome of the game itself. I don't think the game itself is scary, I just think they did a good job of putting odd and scary sound effects here and there to keep you on the edge of your seat. There's been a few "whoa" moments for me (like the bloody footprints on the ceiling, as featured in the demo and early in the 1p mode), but nothing that made me freak out per se.

Again...a safe rental. I can't see myself playing it once I finish single player though, because there's other, better shooters out there with better stories and better multiplayer. :)

12. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Alright, so who has played DiRT and Forza 2? Which one is better in terms of graphics, gameplay, everything?
    I heard the DiRT online multiplayer is horrible, but it has insane single player.

13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Played demos of both, rented Forza 2 last week.
    I *heart* Forza 2. And typically I hate sim racers because I cannot stay on the track to save my life. I either oversteer or don't brake/accelerate at the right time coming into/out of turns. I hated every Gran Turismo except the first one (which was the only one I could play worth a damn). :)

Not with Forza 2 and the (greatest invention in racing game history)...realtime accelerate/brake arrow overlays for n00bs like me. :D

Seriously - Forza 2 is great. I love it. It went from "maybe buy" to "must buy". I like DiRT a lot too based off the brief time with the demo I had. Always was huge on rally racers (especially Sega Rally and Rallisport Challenge)...didn't really care for the earlier Colin McRae games (tried 03 and 04) but DiRT is really good. I'll also pick that one up.

Between the two...I'd get Forza first though because track wise I think it'll offer a lot more. Rally racing is a pretty linear experience as a whole...compared to a "all in one" package like Forza.

The car paint editor is phenominal. I consider myself pretty artistic, and started working on a Spongebob Squarepants car, but some of the custom designed cars out there are insane in detail and quality.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I prefer Forza 2. It seems a little more mature than Dirt, which is full of naff little tricks to appeal to teens. Dirt is much more arcade, Forza is a lot more sim-ish.

My friend made me a Satan Sam car :D

15. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I played the DiRT demo, and it looks amazing, as do the videos.
    I play forza 2 a lot (that and COD2 are my most played 360 games), but it seems like DiRT has better graphics

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I want rallisport challenge 3 ? WTF happened to that IP ?

Also where the hell is Crimson Skies 2 ? I want some fly shooty action and was hoping warhawk would fill that need, but then they went and took the single player out of it.

17. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I have the game and like it. I was lucky to find it used for $25. Great deal.

18. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Sorry to revive an old thread, but im still thinking about getting DiRT.
    I was just playing the demo, and something about the physics and handling seems very different from forza 2. I can understand the handling difference, because that is part of rally. However, for the physics, in DiRT it feels almost as though the car is "rotating" around an axis at the center of the car, as opposed to turning with the wheels at the front axle, like with forza 2.
    Has anyone else noticed this, and was it fixed for the final version?