More questions about the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NbinHD, Sep 4, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Soon i will be buying a new iPhone, now i have two options:
    A 2.7ghz baseline imac with 256gb ss (or 1tb fusion drive) and a iPhone 5s, or
    A 2.9ghz baseline imac with a 256gb ssd (or 1tb fusion drive) and a iPhone 5.
    My computer uses - sketchup, youtube, internet, microsoft office, homework.
    For the past year i havent had a phone since selling my iPhone 4. But i need one now for other reasons and would like one that will last me to the end of 2015. Im not heavily dependent on a smartphone but do enjoy having one and listening to music and web browsing on it, etc. As well as making phone calls. So what do you guys think is the better option? Also when will the haswell iMac's likely be released? Because if i buy a 2012 model now, and say a 2013 model comes out 30 days later, is there any chance of Apple letting me exchange it for a 2013 model? What is there policy on this. Thanks.

2. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

You're talking about a 0.2GHz difference, lol. Get the 5S.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you're talking about the 21.5" 2.9 there's not much difference. If you're talking about 212.5" 2.7 vs 27" 2.9, go in to a store and play with them and see which screen size you prefer.

The 256GB SSD might be a tad small for your planned usage, so you might want to lean towards the Fusion Drive.

For the iMac, if you go with a 21.5" model, you might want to consider going with 16GB as on the late 2012 model, it is not designed to be user upgradeable.

As for the iPhone, A 5S will have better longevity, but until it's announced and we now what is in it, we won't know how much better.

If he's talking about a 21.5" 2.9 there's also the difference in the video.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

These are not tasks that will give the slightest trouble to the processing unit of any 2012 Mac.

5. Saltymac macrumors member

Considered a mini , Air or a 2010 ish iMac ? Your stated tasks are minimal for a computer. I would put money into new 5S phone and memory. You can get into a mini for about 900 with keybd, mouse, 23 inch Dell ultra and dvd . Used late model iMac about the same. New Air $1100.

6. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I would go for the 5s and lower spec computer if i were you.

7. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

256gb ssd too small? I only used about 70gb with all those app installed on my current Macbook Pro.