more questions from a new mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stealthsniper96, Jul 21, 2007.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

1-whenever i download something it puts a shortcut on the desktop aswell as the dock. how can i get rid of the shortcuts on the desktops besides totally deleting them? and is there a way i can set it to just put the shortcut in the dock?
    2- how do i make the yahoo widgets go to the dashboard instead of the desktop?

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

1. it's doing that because you're not installing the applications properly. To install, you drag the application out of the disk image it's contained in, and into your applications folder. Then you delete the disk image and the .DMG file you downloaded. You launch the application from the applications folder, and drag it from there to the Dock. Do a search for more detailed installation instructions if you like...

2. I dunno, but I don't think Yahoo widgets are intended for Dashboard.. you need to download widgets that were specifically created for Dashboard from Apple's website

3. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i got it thx man. heres another question- how do i highlight multiple things. like in windows when you click on something and press shift to highlight a bunch of stuff?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hold down the Apple key and click on multiple things.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

For 2)

Yahoo Widgets has its own "dashboard" interface. Go through the preferences to change the hot key etc. then for the individual widgets you have open, right click them and say you only want them to appear in that area.

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

In addition to the suggestion to hold down the apple key, you can also use the shift key for selecting continuous items in a list. For example, you have a long list of items in a folder. You come across ten in a row that you want to select. First, click item one to select it. Next, hold the shift button and select item ten. All from one to ten will be highlighted. Now, let's say you want to additionally add items 13, 16, and 18 to your already highlighted group. Easy, hold down the apple key and click 13, 16, and 18. Once highlighted you can select any one of the highlighted items and drag the whole group from the folder to anywhere you want to drag it to.