More RAM for my MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jwolf6589, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jwolf6589, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I have a Mid 2009 Macbook with 4GB's of RAM. After Mavericks it seems to be using VM more than usual and sometimes can be sluggish. Running less apps at once helps, however more RAM may help more. I have heard that it possible to get 6GB's of RAM in the Mac and I have to wondr if its safe to the Mac and if it would help. Has anyone tried it and did it help? Here is the specs for my Macbook.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Serial Number (system):
    Hardware UUID: 22AE87A5-8DEF-5F07-B328-0A2BABD69F91
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

John

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MacBook supports up to 6 GB of RAM. Yes, it's safe and yes, it will very likely help. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Just installed the extra RAM going to 6GB's. However it still seems to be using up all my RAM.

Attached Files:

4. leman macrumors 604

Almost half of the RAM is used for caching, why is that a problem for you? Actually, you should be glad that the OS actually tries hard to utilise the RAM you have paid for ;)

In another words: just because all of your RAM is getting used, it does not mean that you have too little of it. Your RAM stats look very good to me.

5. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Maybe I am clueless. Is there anything abnormal about the screenshot I attached? Sorry missed the last line. If it is okay then I have been mistaken. Thanks...

What is that memory Pressure Gauge?

6. leman macrumors 604

As I have said, your RAM stats look very healthy to me.

Its basically an indicator of how starved for RAM your system currently is. If the pressure is low, it means that all applications have enough memory with plenty to spare, and everyone is happy. It it gets high, it means that some application has requested more RAM and the OS is not sure whether it can keep up with the demand. The OS responds to a high pressure situation by attempting to reclaim temporary or cached RAM, maybe compressing or swapping some less used pages. This page is a quite detailed description, albeit it gets a bit technical: http://newosxbook.com/articles/MemoryPressure.html

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

And mine looks normal?? That website is very technical and over my head.

8. mpantone, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

Here is a Cnet article that touches on the memory pressure graph of the Activity Monitor on Mavericks. The Cnet article isn't as technical as the other one, but explains the basics.

Anyhow, you have nothing to worry since the graph is green. Just move on with your life.