More RAM for Parallels on my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by omarjk, Oct 28, 2008.

1. omarjk macrumors regular

Hi,

I would like to know if shelling out for 4 GB RAM will improve my MacBook's performance when running multiple applications, Parallels amongst them.

My CPU monitor (iStat) and my ears let me know that the computer is being pushed very hard at times, occasionally leading to a performance lag of up to twenty seconds.

Will more RAM than the 2 GB I currently have solve the problem? If so I'll be right on to the guys at Crucial.

Thanks

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is the old adage, that you can never have too much RAM. I believe this is true in many cases.

When you run multiple applications, it takes more RAM. VMware and Parallels are no exception. They should run better with more RAM.

So in general, I would say that going to 4GB of RAM will improve the speed of your system.

3. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Sushi.

Did you hear the adage that there can never be such a thing as a new adage?:confused:

If you are in the UK would you recommend any firm over Crucial (cheaper price but similar quality)? I don't want to skimp on RAM but am wary of paying over the odds.

Thanks.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm from/in the UK & can't think/recommend anyone but crucial, i've been buying RAM from them for god knows how long now and not a single problem so far, their RAM is highly recommended & cheap so why go anywhere else ?

5. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

More RAM will help tremendously. I used to have the stock 1GB in my MacBook and it could hardly do anything, especially when running Parallels. I put 4GB in it, the speed increase has been tremendous.

6. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Neil321,

as promised I shall be straight on to the Crucial clan.

Thanks to you and again to sushi. And sushi, don't forget my advice on the proper use of 'adage'.

Omar

7. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I got a 4gb crucial ram kit from frys.com 2 weeks ago. It was $23 ($63 w/ a $40 rebate). I have seen this rebate go up and down but it pretty much keeps coming back. It is in my MB now. I also upped to a 250 hdd while I was in there. I've done no serious work with my new 4gb ram but I can already tell the difference just on web and itunes in mac os x.

9. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I've always gone for Kingston ValueRAM -- never had a problem in many many years (and saved a few quid too!)

Also, if you get the time, grab the trial of VMware Fusion 2.0 and give it a spin. Personally, I've migrated all my old Parallels VMs to Fusion - I found that Fusion keeps the OS X side of things much more responsive than Parallels did and overall the app feels more solid (hand-wavy comment, I know :)).

I've got just 2GB in my early-2006 MacBook Pro (Core not-2 Duo) and routinely run Visual Studio 2008 on an XP VM in Fusion. It runs very nicely indeed and rarely gives the 'bogged-down' feeling that Parallels often brought.

(not trying to sell you Fusion here, just suggesting you try it out to see if it performs better for you!)

10. maccaa macrumors newbie

I have to agree with "displaced" re VMware, I have just migrated from Parallels on my macbook core 2 duo (early) with only 2gb and its far faster. In Parallels I shut everything else down to help it. VM just seems "snappy" and its a 30 day free trial. So your 4gb would really be great with that in mind.

Maccaa

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The question is if you want to spend $140 right now to upgrade.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

parallels needs ram

Have a white c2d imac with 2 gigs of ddr2 ram. Parallels almost wanted it all, and it became to run a mac application at the same time. Went up to the 3 gig max, and it made a night and day difference.

Hey, do you know codeweavers is giving way their product crossover mac, for today only (Oct 28th?)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You're welcome.

Well, some adages are older than others. :p

In Japan.

Usually purchase at a local computer shop.

I have used Crucial in the past and had good results.

:)