More Ram in the plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twilightpress20, Jan 12, 2008.

1. twilightpress20 macrumors newbie

Hello all. I'm new to the community. Just purchased two iphones for the wife and I. I'm coming from Nextel. Does anyone know if Apple plans to upgrade the next generation iphones to more than 8gb?

I do feel that the 8gb is more than enough space. I hear others complain about having to delete sms text conversatioins in order to create more space.

OK. Please shoot away and tell me what you all think.

Thanks.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

First of all, what youre talking about isn't ram. (only the mac pro can have 8gb of ram right now)

I do think its possible for the next phone to have more space, but if its anything like the current phone it will have to be one big chip of memory, and not like the touch which can have 2.

3. twilightpress20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, not to familiar with Mac. Thanks for your response.

I really don't see the point in having much more space. It is a cell phone and 8gb is a lot. Why would one need more?

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Ram isn't a mac thing. Its a computer thing. And a very basic one at that.

People are wanting more space so that they can put more of their music library on the phone... And possibly more movies and other things.

5. twilightpress20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah this is true. But its a phone. I think it give us just enough space. Yet, you fall into the temptation to want it all. I say get an ipod if you want that much music. I think that the iphone is perfect. All of the features that it has (including the 4-8gb) sets it worlds apart from any mobile device created.

Anyone?

6. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

8 gigs is nowhere near enough, some of us actually have extensive collections and lots of playlists and like some variety.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think you lost a lot of us at "perfect". Nothing is that.

:)

The sheer fact that 80 and 160 GB iPods sell so well, indicates a desire for more space, for whatever reason.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Eh, you're just too old. ;)

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I do not think they will increase the size by much for the specific reason of selling more iPods. As people have pointed out, they want more music with them. If apple only sells a 8gb iPhone than alot of people will get an iPod seperately to carry the rest of their music. How many of us have an Iphone and an iPod that we use on a regular basis? I know I do.

However, the need to keep all your music with you at all times is kind of rediculous. There is never any situation that you are in that you HAVE to listen to a particular song at that particular moment. I say just get better at making your playlists and managing your music collection. I have over 23000 music tracks and the 30g iPod was more than enough for me. As its turning out the 8gb iPhone is near enough for a full day of listening at work and in the car. I actually kind of enjoy creating new playlists and loading up new music just about every night. It gets me more in touch with songs and bands that I forgot I had yet I still load in the top 100 songs I have listened to so that I have most of my favorites with me.

Its all about management.

10. docprego macrumors 65816

But according to Apple the iPhone is the best iPod ever. They recognize the fact that the iPod component of the iPhone is one its most attractive features. Therefore increasing the SSD is important in this device if it is to remain their best iPod. Personally I do not own an iPod because I am buying an iPhone, just waiting for Macworld and hoping for that 16GB model that is rumored. I do not want to carry 2 separate devices.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'd like more space on the iPhone (who wouldn't), but to be honest it doesn't really make that much difference if it's 8GB or 16GB: I'd still have to manually manage my music and videos. My iTunes Library is 250GB (most of this is Movies / TV Programmes) so I can't fit it all on even my 160GB classic.
    The point I'm trying to make is that whatever size the iPhone is, there will still be plenty of people who have to manage their content: Personally I'm waiting for the 1TB version :D

12. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

The problem right now is not storage space. The problem is power and battery capacity. What the hell is the point of running your phone dead jamming to your music. Its a phone first. It is awesome having a great iPod inside your phone. 3g is way more important at this point. Trying to download a full web page over edge is painfull.

13. twilightpress20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ditto. This is my point. It's a phone. All of the music and movies are extra which makes the phone what it is. That's why I stated when I started this thread that the iphone nearly perfect with what it has to offer. Of-course it could always be better, but I guess that's why we love & have this phone (iphone) and not another make and/or model.

It's more than enough space. You'll never be able to use the phone to talk if you waist all of the battery life watching movies and listening to music. Mac isn't going to kill the means by which this phone even became what it is. The IPOD! So...............JMHO