more ram, louder fans?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bass108, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Bass108 macrumors member

I was thinking about going with 16Gb of OWC qualified ram. I hear that is running cooler than the certified ram. But I read a barefeats talking about how 32GB of ram increased the fan noise.

i imagine more ram equals more heat which in turn speeds up those fans. Is anyone running 16Gb with low fan noise? is it OWC ram? I am not positive if I absolutely need 16Gb yet, but i can do it...just plan on running logic and doing lots of sampler and virtual instruments.

thanks

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i bet the fans will tend to go faster if you put 16 in there, rather or not it's actually audible is another question.... is your MP in the same room that you're tracking in?

but jeez, 16 gig for logic? that's a crapper load- how much do you have know, and are you getting page outs? i guess that's the way to tell if you really need more ram or not.

i have 6 gig in mine, and even with my biggest projects (which tend to have quite a few vst's and such) i still don't get any pageouts, and istat shows that there's still some going unused.....

3. Bass108 thread starter macrumors member

still waiting on the system...

i was thinking 16 was overkill too but i changed my mind on the certified because of the heatsink, and since the qualified is only about 200 more i was thinking why not? But it is louder and not worth it cause i won't use then...then i should probably go for 8.

i also thought 8 dimms are better than 4 for performance.

i know logic only takes 4 gb max (3gb really) but i have heard of cats using soundflower with standalone apps rewired back to logic where they can free up and utilize more ram.