More RAM or better processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antonioanmar, Sep 22, 2011.

1. antonioanmar macrumors member

antonioanmar

I am looking to buy a MBP 15, and I am not sure if it is better to spend some money going from 4Gb to 8Gb of RAM, from i7 2,20Gh to i7 2,30Gh or both of them.

I know that always the higher option is better, but I would like to know if the change will be notable on the use.

I know that later I could increase RAM by myself, but I don't want to do it (at least on the first year of the MBP.

So, for the things that I will do with my Mac (high web browsing, iWork, FileMaker Pro Aperture, iMovie, watching videopodcast and films and play games) which option is better?

Also I don't know if it is better to chose hi res glossy or antiglare screen.
    Thanks in advance for you help because I want to buy it soon.

Note: excuse me because of my poor English, but I am a Spanish guy doing his best.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The vast majority of users will benefit more from a bump in RAM than a bump in processor speed. As for the glossy or antiglare, go to an Apple store and look at both to decide which you prefer. Depending on other people's opinions won't help, since you're the one who will be looking at the screen every day. Roughly half prefer glossy and half prefer antiglare.

3. nicklad macrumors 6502

Your English is fine! :)

The 2.2 GHz will be fine for your needs.

If you decide to get 8GB, never buy your RAM from Apple. Get somebody else to fit it if you're not comfortable installing it yourself.

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yep, the 2.2GHz should be fine and so should the 4GB RAM, but do the self-install if you find you'll be needing more.

I would highly recommend the hi-res, anti-glare display but whichever is better is subjective. There's already plenty of glossy vs anti-glare threads about so not going to discuss further.

5. antonioanmar thread starter macrumors member

antonioanmar

Thanks for your comments.
    According to them, I see that the "standard" configuration of MBP 15" i7 2.20Gh, 4Gb of RAM will be fine.

Ok, I only was afraid about RAM on Lion, because in my own experience it looks as if Lion needs more of it than Snow Leopard.

And checking many reviews about the processor it looks that really the difference between them doesn't worth the money.

About screen, please could anyone confirm me if the anti grade one is a similar (but higher resolution) than the MBA one? I find that this is not a glossy screen and I love it.