More Ram or faster internet speed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by buffybaby, Oct 19, 2013.

1. buffybaby macrumors newbie

My mac is 2 years old. I have a 21.5 inch with 4GB.The iMac has been wonderful and pretty fast. My question is some movies or videos I watch online, say from you tube or other places start and stop during the video while am I am watching it. This is annoying. Is my problem that I need more Ram or do I need a faster DSL. I have Frontier as my server. And if it is the RAM , how much more do I need. I need feedback. Thank you, Buffybaby

2. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

It seems to be your internet connection. What is your current speed? Here is a way to test it: http://www.speed.io

3. OpTic Jayex macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

If I am correct, you can put up to 32 gb of ram in your machine. I would max out your ram. It makes it more snappier! As for your Internet, maybe. do you have Hi-speed Internet?

4. opinio macrumors 65816

What internet speeds to you get on www.speedtest.net? Run a few tests and post them as there is a significant range in ADSL speeds. The start and stop on streaming sounds like internet speeds though and not RAM.

5. buffybaby thread starter macrumors newbie

Speed

It says my download speed is 2.89Mbps and upload speed is .70mbps So what does this all mean. buffybaby

----------

Yes ,I do have high speed internet

6. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Please don't do this. 32GB RAM is incredibly unnecessary—you are unlikely to see any difference beyond 8GB for most tasks, and if you're a light user (web browsing, email, light documents) even 4GB is fine.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Faster internet would help and you would want to add 8GB of ram to your system.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To correct the video buffering problem, you will have to get a faster internet connection. Increasing the amount of ram will not help that problem at all.

9. haddy macrumors regular

2.89Mbps is pretty slow....try and get over 10Mbps if you can. May need another internet provider. RAM is irrelevant in this situation. However,you can never have enough RAM. I have 32 GB.

10. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Yes faster internet for sure. Also check your router make sure it is putting out what your paying for. I just upgraded to the new AirPort Extreme and wow made a huge difference with my internet. Before I couldn't game and watch netflix. Now I can run 2 iPads my iPhone and iMac plus game on my ps3 with no problems.