More RAM vs. Faster RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rmasonb1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. rmasonb1 macrumors newbie

Here's my situation:
    I had a black MacBook (2.16GHz CoreDuo) with 3Gb of DDR2 667MHz RAM. My brother got (for Christmas) the new Unibody MacBook (2.26Ghz Core2Duo) with 2Gb of DDR3 1066MHz RAM. Since I am going to college next year, I asked him if we could switch computers since I didn't think mine could hold up to a year of campus abuse (it has served me well daily for 3 years). He graciously helped me out. I switched the HDDs in the computers so that my HDD (from the black one) was now in the new white one, and visa versa. Immediately I noticed that on the new white MacBook when several apps were open, the computer slowed down significantly. I am wondering whether or not I can switch the RAM between the computers as well (so that the 3Gb of DDR2 667MHz is now in the white Unibody MacBook and visa versa). Will the white MacBook be faster? And can the black MacBook (with a CoreDuo processor) handle the DDR3? Suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The RAM of each MB will not work in the other RAM due to being DDR II and DDR III RAM. If you want 4GB in the new white MB, you have to buy 2x2GB of DDR III yourself.
    www.macsales.com might be a place to get some.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Nope, the RAM types are not compatible, so if you switch them, the computers will not recognize the memory. More RAM doesn't necessarily mean faster, it only does if you have a lot of stuff going on at once. Plus 4GB of DDR3 that you can use in the white MacBook is relatively cheap (I just got 4GB of the same memory that the white one uses for about $93 on newegg).

4. rmasonb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you guys very much for clearing up the confusion, I think I'm going to go with the 4Gb of DDR3.